Lifestyle

Bikers in Central Park are known for not stopping at red lights when there are no pedestrians present.

When it comes to parks, New York has a lot to offer. That being said, one of them does beat out the rest: Central Park. As the weather gets warmer and the end of the school year approaches, be sure to take advantage of everything Central Park has to offer. Knowing where to start your Central Park exploration can be a little overwhelming, so we’ve narrowed down some of the best spots for hanging out, picnicking, studying, or avoiding memorizing 200 bio terms.

Conservatory Garden

A beautiful spot tucked away just off of 5th Ave at 105th, Conservatory Garden is a colorful, lush spot not many know about. Blooming lilac trees, cherry blossoms, and six acres of flower gardens make up the Garden, making it the perfect place to go for a walk to avoid studying for finals or go on a romantic end-of-the-year picnic.

The Ravine

Though New York may be a city that’s perpetually filled with sound, lights, and slow-walking tourists, this area in Central Park will completely transport you away from the mayhem. The Ravine is a specifically designed 90-acre, deciduous woodland forest area in the northern portion of the Park meant to mimic the look and feel of the Adirondacks. It includes a stream that ends in a very small (yet extremely beautiful) waterfall and pond. So, if you’re looking to chill out after cramming for that dreaded econ exam this week, a trip to the Ravine may be worth it.

Shakespeare Garden

Possibly the most whimsical section of Central Park, the Shakespeare Garden is one of the most beautiful attractions in the entire park. The Garden’s winding, fence-lined paths following rows of cherry blossoms, tulips, and roses is the perfect place to go for a stroll.

Conservatory Water

One of the most secluded spots in Central Park, Conservatory Water is the perfect place to take a study break. The pond is calm and usually pretty unpopulated—well, apart from the families that come to race model boats in the water (model boat racing is the Water’s claim to fame). If you find yourself at the southernmost tip of the park and are looking for somewhere relaxed to hang out for a bit, definitely head towards Conservatory Water.

columbia barnard central park study nyc