Required Reading 2018
Ha Quoc Huy / Columbia Daily Spectator

Congratulations! Your blood, sweat, and tears have landed you a place in one of the most prestigious universities in the country. I hope you enjoyed that brief celebration, because now it is time to focus on the actual reason you’re here: finding a job. This can be a daunting task, but Spectrum is here to help! The résumé is a key tool in this process, so here’s an outline of what we recommend to include:

The Header

Name:

As this entire process is about what makes you the ideal candidate for the position, your name should stand out on the page. We suggest the words be in bold and of a slightly larger size than the rest of the information.

Address:

Employers in the area will want to know you’re local and can easily hop on the subway for an interview. For that reason, we advise that you use your school address if you’re planning to work in the city.

Email:

Whichever email you decide to include, make sure it is one you can check easily and frequently. Your school email is always a good choice: It can parallel the education information just below.

Photo:

Many choose to add a photograph to gain facial recognition, but we do not recommend this. Your résumé should only be a page in length and, as space is precious, a photo is unnecessary.

Example

Jane D. Doe

_____________________________________________________________________________________

123 1st St. – New York, NY 10027 – jdd1234@columbia.edu - 123.456.7890

Education

Order:

Always start whatever is most recent and include your start and prospective graduation year. If you believe the employer might be an alum/aware of your high school, you may add it, but this is not imperative.

Relevance:

Include your major(s), minor(s), and/or relevant coursework to what the position would entail. Previous experience in the field will make it easier for them to add you to their team.

GPA/Scores:

If asked for a GPA and/or test scores, don’t forget to include them in this section.

Example

EDUCATION

____________________________________________________________________________

Columbia College, Columbia University, New York, NY 2018-2022

Bachelor of Arts, Major(s): Economics and Psychology GPA: 3.74/4.0

Related Experience

This is where you get to astound the employer with your professional prowess. This isn’t your first rodeo, and you’re a human thesaurus of action verbs when it comes to your role/responsibilities regarding your experience. Include the month(s) and year(s) you worked, as well as the location.

Example

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES

Dean & Associates, New York, NY May 2017 – August 2017

Event Assistant

- Organized and executed official events

- Facilitated other administrative duties

Campus Activities/Leadership Responsibilities

Employers want to know you’re keeping busy during the school year; aside from Netflix and JJ’s, show them what you’ve been up to in this section!

Example

LEADERSHIP & INVOLVEMENT

The Columbia Daily Spectator, New York, NY 2018

Journalist

- Cover important campus issues and how they affect students

- Lead interviews, conduct studies, and produce relevant articles

Skills and Interests

Technological:

If you know coding languages, work in photoshop or Microsoft Office Suite, etc. these can be valuable in the workplace. Optional: Include your level of expertise within these areas in parentheses.

Language:

The language requirement might come in handy with this section of your résumé. Even a beginner’s knowledge is valuable to include, especially if you’d be working in a region of which you know the dominantly spoken language well.

Research:

If applicable, add time spent in a lab/doing research.

Interests:

Adding a one-line interest section can make your résumé more personal, and possibly give you something in common with the employer.

Example

SKILLS & INTERESTS

Technological: Microsoft Office Suite (proficient), Adobe Illustrator (beginner)

Language: English (fluent), Spanish (fluent), Italian (conversational)

Interests: Reading, Soccer, Traveling

Remember to like our Facebook page, follow us on Instagram at @cuspectrum, and sign up for our summer newsletter to stay up to date on all of our Required Reading Content.

Interested in joining Spec when you get to campus? Find out more at joinspec.com!

barnard columbia nsop career professional