Academics
File Photo/Columbia Daily Spectator /

Noise levels are scaled 1 to 5. 1 meaning you are able to hear PrezBo’s toupee hit the floor in an empty Low Library, and 5 being Baker Field during the game-winning touchdown on Homecoming.

Availability is scaled 1 to 5. 1 being the salad station at JJ’s Place, and 5 being an East Campus guest swipe-in on a Friday night.

Broadway 14th Floor Lounges (open 24/7)

Take a trip to the 14th floor of this junior and senior dorm on 114th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue. There are two very spacious sky lounges that offer study-goers incredible views of New York City. Spectrum recommends the “A” lounge on the left side when you exit the elevator, which has an array of study desks and tables. If you really feel like taking full advantage of this spot (and have a bit of flexibility), hop onto one of the ledges by the window and work right next to the beautiful skyline vista. If you go at random hours, like a Sunday afternoon, one of the lounges should be empty––bring some friends, a speaker, food, your readings, and actually make studying pleasant.

Noise level: 1

Availability: 1

Schapiro Sky Lounge (open 24/7)

Similarly to the Broadway sky lounge, the 17th floor lounge of Schapiro Hall offers beautiful, almost-360 degree views of the city. We suggest sitting by the northwest corner of the lounge to get a view of the Hudson River. Grab your CC book (even Marx probably wouldn’t be salty with this view) and enjoy.

Noise level: 2

Availability: 2

Joe’s Coffee in the Journalism School

Open Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-8 p.m. and Sat-Sun 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

The newly-opened Joe’s Coffee, in place of what was Up Coffee before, offers a modern and open coffee and study spot. Located in Pulitzer Hall, home of the J-School, it’s right on campus and easy to get to. The large, open windows allow for a ton of natural light, so you can at least pretend you are outside. Grab a hot panini, a locally roasted coffee, a bougie-ass salad served in a reusable mason jar––yes, they have those here––and get to work. Note that they do not take Dining Dollars or Flex. It doesn’t get too busy, but in the event of a crowd of coffee-crazed students or professors holding heated and petty academic debates, bring some headphones.

Noise level: 4

Availability: 2

NoCo Presentation Rooms

If you are feeling nostalgic for the Butler Library you left behind and still want a library vibe––without being cramped in the stacks––look no further than the Science & Engineering Library, located in the Northwest Corner Building. On the second floor, there are two state-of-the-art group study and presentation rooms. Bring your friends to work on a project, debate the merits of JJ’s for dinner 3+ nights a week, or write Michael Scott quotes on all available whiteboards.

To work in here, you have one of two options. 1) Walk into one of the rooms and hope no one has a reservation. 2) Go onto https://roomreservations.cul.columbia.edu/ and reserve one of the rooms for up to an hour and a half at a time.

Pro Tip: If you want to reserve the room for an extended period of time, have a friend reserve the same room right after your time slot.

Noise level: 1

Availability: 3

NoCo First Floor Cubicles

If you don’t feel like going through the hassle of reserving one of the presentation rooms but still want to work in NoCo, go to the Broadway side of the first floor of the library, where there are some really cool cubicles that fit four. The only caveat around midterms and finals seasons is they can be hard to snag, so get to one early in the day.

Noise level: 3

Availability: 4

Columbia Barnard Study