Social
Diane Kim / Senior Staff Illustrator

Wine nights are an essential part of many people’s university experience—sometimes, you just don’t feel like going out to a party, club, or anywhere else that would take a lot of energy. Here is a step by step guide to help you guys learn how to have a proper wine night. So grab a pair of PJs and prepare yourself to have the best wine night ever!

Step 1: Misery loves company.

A lonely wine night is never as fun as having a wine night with friends. When your wallowing in misery about all the midterms you have next week, the best thing to have is a friend wallowing alongside you. This way you can also feel more social and hang out with your friends without having to dress up, go to Frat Row or Mel’s, and wake up at 2 p.m. the next day. Vent about your classes, complain about the person who’s flirting with you but refusing to make a move, or even talk about your insecurities—that’s what friends are for.

Step 2: WINE & FOOD!!!

What is a wine night without wine?!?! Go get yourself some Moscato, maybe a Pinot Noir, or even a rosé. Honestly, sometimes you might just want to get all three. And to plan ahead for when you’re a bit—or very—depending on your tolerance, drunk, go swipe into JJ’s and get some burgers, fries, chicken tenders, ice cream, etc. If you’re feeling fancy, you could even go to Morton Williams and get some cheese and crackers, because what’s better than wine and cheese?

Step 3: It’s movie time!!!

Now the best thing to do while drinking wine and eating food is to gather all the pillows and blankets in your room, throw them on the floor, and hunker down while watching a movie. By far, rom-coms are the way to go. Neither drama, nor horror, nor sci-fi movies get you into the proper wine night mood. Rom-coms express the cycle of happiness, to frustration, to utter distress, and back to happiness that every student goes through. Simply put, rom coms represent a student’s relationship with their midterms. You’re happy before they happen, frustrated once you begin studying, distressed the night before and during the midterm, and extremely happy once its over.

Spec’s Recommendations: Crazy Rich Asians, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Crazy Stupid Love, 27 Dresses, Clueless, She’s the Man, 10 Things I Hate About You, Wild Child, 13 Going on 30

Columbia Barnard Wine Night Weekend