Lifestyle
Natalie Guerra / Staff Photographer

Midterm season is bearing down on us at full speed, and between the endless tests to study for, papers to write, and projects to complete, it can be all too easy to forget to eat. Yet food is fuel, and not getting enough will leave you tired and moody (read: hangry). We here at Spectrum understand the reasoning behind sleeping for an extra half-hour instead of getting breakfast or finishing up that problem set for your next class during lunch, so we’ve compiled some tips to help you eat on the go and power through those marathon sessions in the stacks.

Make the most of your meal plan by using JJ’s choose-four express swipes

Whether it be the wholesome whole wheat Uncrustables, the wealth of cereal options, or the wide selection of alternative milks, JJ’s express line has something for everyone. Better yet, it takes both Columbia and Barnard meal swipes and takes just a minute to get through.

Pro tip: Stuff the brown bags you get into your backpack and enjoy your very own four-course meal at Butler or Millie.

Consider subscribing to Soylent

If you’re not on a University meal plan or on a limited one or if you’re just someone who constantly sleeps in for an extra half-hour instead of partaking in the most important meal of the day, consider trying out Soylent, or a similar meal replacement drink/powder like Jimmy Joy or Huel. Coming in at 400 calories with 20g protein, 21g fat, and 36g of carbohydrates, Soylent 2.0 (the bottled version) is a nutritionally complete vegan meal-in-a-bottle for when you’re in a real bind. To boot, it comes in eight flavors, including both a regular and caffeinated line, and is cheaper than a specialty drink at Starbucks at just over $3 per bottle with an Amazon subscription. Individual bottles can also be found at $3.99 each from Westside Market.

Pro tip: The Cacao flavor tastes just like chocolate milk!

Set mealtime alarms (seriously)

If you chronically get so deeply absorbed in the Oxford Bible or your quantum physics problem set that you wait to eat until you’re literally famished, try setting alarms on your phone to force yourself to remember mealtimes. By regularly replenishing blood glucose levels, you’ll be better at maintaining concentration and studying.

Some food for thought

While all these tips are geared toward helping you eat on the move, it’s important to note that eating encapsulates far more than simply filling up the tank. From family dinners to coffee dates and ramen nights with friends, mealtimes are—at their very essence—communal. They offer us a chance to break out of our personal bubbles, to connect and talk about everything and nothing, and to really live in those all-too-fleeting New York minutes. So, even though it’s midterms and even though you’re probably swamped with work, try to take an hour of your day to enjoy a meal with friends.

Barnard Columbia Snacks Midterm Study Break