Lifestyle

With midterm season upon us, it’s likely that you’ll find yourself at JJ’s at 3 a.m after a long, grueling study session. It’s fine. We’ve all been there. After crunching all those numbers for your math midterm, you’ve got to crunch on something yourself—am I right?

Everyone’s got their own complex JJ’s order down, but it must get pretty boring ordering the same thing all the time. You might boast about your fine-tuned JJ’s palate, but it’s probably time to spice things up (literally). After all, college is all about experimenting! Get inspired by Spectrum’s very own JJ’s order list.

The Full Course Meal

Tian: Mozzarella sticks with marinara, burger, ice cream

Clear out your schedule for an hour, and dine like a king at JJ’s. Starting out with a nice first course of mozzarella sticks, followed by a burger of your choice as an entrée, and ending with ice cream, you’ll feel like you just dined at a one of the best Michelin-starred restaurants in the city. Peter Luger, who?

Sweet ’n’ Salty

Sydney: Mozzarella sticks, chocolate chip pancakes, five servings of chips and pretzels, fortune cookie

Feeling indecisive? Just grab some of everything! Get your sodium and glucose fix in one go. The five servings of chips and pretzels might be a bit much though, so dose at your own risk. Don’t forget to grab a fortune cookie as well! Maybe one of those mysterious, totally accurate sayings might end up predicting how you do on all these midterms you’ve been studying for.

Go Big or Go Home

Grace: Omelette with spinach, bacon, and mushrooms, and French toast with extra syrup and lots of sugar

You can’t go wrong with this omelette and French toast power duo. You know what they say: Two meals are always better than one! At least, that’s what you should convince yourself.

Sugar Rush

Izzy: Soft serve, dulce de leche with rainbow sprinkles and a “healthy” dash of M&Ms, water (and stolen bites from people’s plates)

Treat yo’self! You’ll feel like a 12-year-old, unsupervised kid in a candy store with the sugar rush that will come with this order. After working so hard throughout this midterm season, everyone deserves a treat, right?

(Note: Spectrum will not be held accountable for the sugar crash that will undeniably happen after ingesting such an amount of sugar.)

The Healthy-ish One?

Naina: Beyond burger with guacamole, carrot sticks with hummus

Are your friends dragging you to JJ’s despite your insisting you’re on a diet? We’ve got you covered. Naina recommends getting a burger (with guac) and carrot sticks with hummus. The perfect balance of healthy-ish and junk.

Plain and Simple

Nafisa: Pancakes with extra chocolate chips and lots of syrup

Don’t want to bother waiting for your extra complicated order? Go with some simple pancakes with extra chocolate chips. Quick to order and quick to eat. You’ll be ready to go back to your studying in no time!

The Real American Breakfast

Michelle: Two pieces of toast, two eggs over easy with spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese, and guacamole

According to many studies, eggs are a good source for the essential vitamins that keep your brain healthy. If you’re feeling completely drained from all the studying and work you’ve been doing, charge up with Michelle’s order and keep your brain in peak working condition!

The Actually Healthy One

Caroline: Salad with hummus, fruit, and decaf black tea

Yes. There are people on campus who don’t indulge in all that greasy goodness at JJ’s. If you are one of them, like Caroline here, you have the strongest willpower ever (or you might just be a vegan). If this is the case, you can get some salad, fruit, and tea while your friends pig out.

Columbia Barnard JJ's Food