Lifestyle
Sachi Thomsen / Staff Illustrator

I think we can all agree—there’s nothing more quintessentially college than midnight ramen. But what’s the best pre-packaged ramen in MoHi? Where can it be found? And most importantly, which of these ramen brands offers the most bang for your buck? This is Spec Worth It, and today we’ll be presenting three different types of packaged ramen at three (not too) different price points to find the best answer to all your late night MSG cravings.

The contenders:

$: Nissin Top Ramen Chicken

Amazon, 48 count, $16.06 = ~$.033/block; 24 count, $18.91 = $0.79/cup

$$: Jin Ramen, Mild

H Mart, $1.29/block, $1.67/cup

$$$: Samyang, Hot Chicken Cheese Flavored Ramen

H-Mart, $2.49/block, $2.99/cup

Nissin Top Ramen Chicken

Taster 1:

“Just what you expect. Really standard. We added the water a little late so the noodle texture is a little raw. Basically your standard, cheap, dependable college ramen.”

Rating: 2.5/5

Taster 2:

“This one wins in the sodium department for sure.”

Rating: 2/5

Taster 3:

“[cough] Tastes like sodium and celery. Practical and accessible but not the most savory.”

Rating: 2/5

Average marginal utility (thanks, Principles of Econ!) = 2.74 stars/$

-------------------

Jin Ramen, Mild

Taster 1:

“Medium volume, medium chewiness. In terms of spice flavor, Jin definitely lives up to its mild name. The broth is really my favorite. Really thorough—you see these little chunks of mushroom and beef and real scallion.”

Rating: 4.5/5

Taster 2:

“I love me some dehydrated spring onion.”

Rating: 4/5

Taster 3:

“My personal favorite, but I wish there was more protein and maybe a richer broth. The flavor and spice as well as the noodle texture are great.”

Rating: 4/5

Average marginal utility = 2.49 stars/$

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expensive:

Spicy chicken cheese ramen

Taster 1:

“The noodle texture is a lot thicker. A lot more volume and chewiness. You really get that umami mouthfeel. To be honest I’m not really feeling the cheese—it’s just pretty spicy.”

Rating: 3.5/5

Taster 2:

“Not sure if we were supposed to dump the water, but I can’t taste the cheese at all. There’s just spice. The noodles are good, though.”

Rating: 3/5

Taster 3:

“A lot of tomato flavor for some reason. It makes my lips tingle. Clears the sinuses. I can see why it’s called fire cheese. Best noodles and surprisingly delicious. The broth is made for people who love spice.”

Rating: 4/5

Average marginal utility = 1.17 stars/$

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objectively, Top Ramen offers the greatest bang per buck, and to be sure, it’ll work in a pinch. But for a truly luxurious ramen night (treat yo’self, y’all!), we suggest going with Jin—for a $0.50 premium you’ll be rewarded with much better flavor, nuanced spice, and great noodle texture.

Columbia Barnard Ramen