Lifestyle

We’ve all seen a fashion upgrade on campus from summer tank tops and T-shirts to cute fall outfits and even cuter boots. Keeping this in mind, we thought we’d give you a few more ways to enjoy fashion this fall. Here are the on-campus fashion shows this semester that you will want to plug into your GCal.

Chamak

Chamak is the annual South Asian fashion show held by the Organization of Pakistani Students at Columbia University. This year’s theme is Night at the Bazaar. We are trying to channel the charm of the Anarkali Bazaar located in Lahore, Pakistan. We want Chamak this year to feel like an experience, not just a fashion show—the lights, ornate fashion, stall setups, hustle and bustle of Pakistan. We will not only be serving looks but also chai and samosas. We hope you’re excited for both the traditional and the fusion clothes, great performances, and a greater time.

- Sarah Mohammad and Aliya Zuberi

Date: Sunday, Oct. 21

Time: 7 p.m.

Location: Roone Auditorium

Courtesy of Chamak

CultureSHOCK

CultureSHOCK is one of the largest events of the year and one of the highlights of the University student calendar. This event is a charity showcase run entirely by undergraduate students, including a segment featuring both well-known and up-and-coming Asian-American performers, followed by a fashion show that features both high-end and eccentric, new, Asian-American designers. We also want to promote Asian-American models breaking through traditional stereotypes about what Asian Americans look like. The spotlight models serve as individual examples of uncovering and reclaiming their narratives as Asian Americans.

This year, we decided on “reclaim” as our theme, because we want to emphasize and focus on empowering and locating our own agencies as individuals. Whether that is reclaiming our narrative, our bodies, or our homes, “reclaim” is meant to inspire people to take ownership over their identities in an act of defiance of appropriation and misrepresentation.

-Arwa Adib and Kyoko Hirose

Date: Friday, Nov. 30

Time: 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Location: Roone Auditorium

Courtesy of CultureSHOCK

Courtesy of CultureSHOCK
Columbia Barnard CultureSHOCK Chamak Fall Fashion