Social
Liz Nichols / Staff Illustrator

‘Tis the season of sexy devils and naughty school girls! Halloween is upon us and before you dust off and slip on that sexy nurse uniform, you should probably take a step back and reconsider your choices. Do you just want to be another sexy nurse in the room or do you want to stand out this Halloween?

If you’re choosing to be a bit more original this Halloween, Spectrum has got you covered! Get inspired by these unique costumes that you probably won’t see much of.

The blacklist

First things first, we’ve got to establish a blacklist. We know these are probably super easy and cheap to find or to make, but we can guarantee you won’t be winning any costume contests with these on.

Sexy animal (mouse, cat, dog….): Yes, we know, “you’re a mouse, duh” but that line has probably been used too many times to count. This might be a good, last minute costume for a party you didn’t know about until the night of, but with Halloween more than a week away, you have time to find something much more original.

Doctor/nurse/cop: You won’t be saving any lives with these costumes since you’ll probably be boring everyone to death. These have been done so many times that they don’t excite anyone anymore. We don’t mean to be mean, we’re just being realistic.

Sexy schoolgirl/teacher: I don’t know about you, but we see enough teachers and students around on campus already. If it isn’t a Cher Horowitz Clueless costume then it’ll be pretty obvious you put minimal effort into planning out your costume.

The costumes

Kanye West and Lil Pump’s “I Love it”

This could be a two-person costume idea or you could go solo with this one. It’ll take some serious effort because you’ll probably have to build the clothing with cardboard. It’s a pretty imposing costume though so you’ll definitely get some attention. You can even twist it up by choosing to go as the SNL rendition of the video when the two dressed up as Fiji and Perrier bottles. Sparkling or still, you choose!

Kim Kardashian after losing her diamond earring

This one is easy, cheap, and definitely super original. You’ll only need a black one-piece swimsuit, some slick hair for that straight-out-of-the-ocean look and one earring instead of two because you lost the other one in the ocean (obviously). Pair all of that with the famous Kardashian crying face and you’ll be good to go. You could also turn this into a group costume if you include the ‘Kardashian Klan’ looking for the earring by your side.

Meme costumes (Arthur, Moth, Salt Bae, Walmart Yodeling Kid, …)

Showcase your meme culture knowledge and prove you’re a true meme connoisseur with these costumes. They’re also very easy and cheap to make since you could find most of the items needed for the costumes in your closet already. For Arthur, you’ll need a yellow sweatshirt and some glasses. If you want to go as a moth, you could dress up all in beige and stick some cardboard antennas to your head or to a headband. The Walmart Yodeling Kid is also very simple: you’ll need a red bowtie, a white dress shirt and some cowboy boots (the vocals are optional but recommended!).

Banksy

This costume is definitely the easiest (and laziest) one on this list. All you need is a black hoodie, some black shades and a spraypaint can of your color of choice in your hand. You could add to this costume by carrying a frame with a half-shredded print out of his famous “Girl with a Balloon” piece.

Childhood throwbacks

Choose to go as your favorite cartoon character! From Kim Possible to Dora the Explorer, there are a variety of options from Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network that could be very original solo or group costumes. You could choose to go simple with a The Powerpuff Girls or Dexter’s Laboratory costume or you could take it up a notch with a serious Teen Titans or The Flinstones cosplay costume. Whatever you choose to do, you’ll still have an original costume that’ll bring some bittersweet nostalgia to the party.

Barnard Columbia Halloween