Social

Every student looks forward to fall break as an opportunity to take a break from the excessive amount of midterms we have. To help all the students staying in New York City have the best fall break possible, here are 10 fall break activities in NYC to help you forget about that midterm you just took or any midterms you have coming up.

Central Park: With fall foliage emerging, a perfect place to visit is Central Park. Trek through the beautiful 38-acre Ramble in the middle of Central Park that turns a gorgeous mix of red, yellow, and purple during the fall. You could even go to the Conservatory Garden where the photo opportunities are endless. The New York Botanical Garden: If you feel like you’ve been to Central Park too many times and want to go somewhere new but equally as beautiful, you could head up to the New York Botanical Garden for Fall Forest Weekend. The colors are gorgeous, and you’ll be able to see everything that’s glorious about fall. Bryant Park’s Winter Village: Bryant Park’s Winter Village just opened and you know what that means. It’s time for ice skating and Christmas shopping! Before it gets too unbearably cold, head over to Bryant Park with some friends and go ice skating. After falling a couple of times, you can treat yourself to some hot cocoa and wander around looking for the perfect Christmas gifts. Brooklyn Flea Market: Opening Nov. 3 and 4 at Atlantic Center, Brooklyn Flea Market is another great place to go to do some shopping. This indoor (i.e. warm) market is full of great treasures from clothing to pottery and it has some amazing food. Rockefeller Center: If Bryant Park is a little too busy for you, you could try going to Rockefeller Center to ice skate with your friends. Afterward, you can wander around and maybe even go to Bouchon Bakery where you can treat yourself to a macaroon and some hot cocoa. Blood Manor: If you just didn’t get enough of Halloween or were busy studying for midterms during Halloweekend, no worries, there’s still some opportunities to celebrate. This haunted house is full of themed rooms, corridors, and a labyrinth of scary passageways that’ll for sure give you a good scare. Just buy your tickets ahead of time! The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze: For those of you who want to celebrate Halloween a little more but don’t feel like going to a haunted house, you could go see the Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze. While not technically located in NYC, this electrifying event, located only about one hour away from Columbia University, has over 7,000 illuminated jack o’lanterns on display. Topped off with synchronized lighting and an original soundtrack, this display is truly incredible to see. Museums: If you aren’t necessarily a fan of the cold, then visiting a museum is the perfect activity for you. You can easily spend hours at the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the American Museum of Natural History. If you feel like traveling a bit further, you could go see the National September 11 Memorial and Museum or the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum. For all the Harry Potter fans out there, there even is an exhibition at the New-York Historical Society called “Harry Potter: A History of Magic.” Broadway: There are tons of amazing shows on Broadway right now. By either entering the lottery or standing in line early in the morning to get rush tickets, you can see musicals such as Waitress, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, or The Lion King. You could even see the new King Kong musical, if you’re really brave. MINI NYC PUMPKIN FLAVOR TOUR: When you think of fall, you think of pumpkin spice-flavored foods. A truly amazing way to spend your fall break would be to go around the island taste testing some of the best pumpkin-flavored foods. You can find everything from delicious pumpkin cupcakes to great pumpkin beer near NYC. Aside from the obvious places you already know have great pumpkin spice lattes, here are a couple of places you should definitely try:
Barnard Columbia Fall Break