Lifestyle
Claire Easton / Staff Illustrator

It’s officially November. And though you might not be able to tell because we’re in the City and trees are few and far between, we’re almost done with fall. Because fall’s arguably the tastiest month, we here at Spectrum Worth It decided to conduct a fall desserts taste test, ranging from the cheap to the basic to the exotic.

The contenders:

$: Apple Pie

Westside Market - $3.79 (serves four)

$$: Tall Pumpkin Spice Latte

Starbucks - $5.06

$$$: Hungarian Coffee and Pumpkin Cheesecake

Hungarian Pastry Shop - $7.60

Apple Pie:

Taster 1:

“The pie’s decent. The crust is a little stale. The apple is a little too sweet. Good for the price.”

Rating: 3/5

Taster 2:

“I don’t really like it. It’s too sweet—just as a personal preference. I don’t like super sweet desserts, but it’s okay by American standards.”

Rating: 3/5

Pumpkin Spice Latte:

Taster 1:

“So I’ve actually never had a pumpkin spice latte because I was afraid I’d like it, and I guess that this just confirms my suspicions. Honestly, it’s super, super awesome. There’s a perfect balance between the milkiness and the spice and, uh... I totally get the craze now.”

Rating: 4.5/5

Taster 2:

“Depending on who your barista is, the spice can be overwhelming. But overall, if you just keep the cap off and just smell it and let it wift around, it’s really nice.”

Rating: 4.3/5

Hungarian Coffee and Pumpkin Cheesecake

Cheesecake:

Taster 1:

“Velvety. Smooth. Subtle notes of pumpkin come out between the creaminess of the whipped cream and cream cheese. Really, really sweet, but very subtly so. It’s like a cloying, lingering, gentle forget-me-not sweetness. The crust is dense and moist; a bite of the creamy cheesecake with the crust is really perfect, just an absolutely splendid delight.”

Rating: 5/5

Taster 2:

“It tastes like what you would have for Halloween in NYC. For a cheesecake, it’s so smooth and velvety, and the crust, not too grainy, works well with the texture of the actual cheesecake. It’s actually so good.”

Rating: 4.75/5

Hungarian Coffee:

Taster 1:

“The cinnamon and whipped cream mix beautifully to create a richly textured experience reminiscent of autumn.”

Rating: 4.75/5

Taster 2:

“A delicate balance between cinnamon and milk. A nice dance of flavor and comfort to your palate. It’s subtle—very kind to you. It hugs you and tells you that it’s gonna be okay, unlike American coffee that slaps you and reminds you of your irresponsibility. Yeet!”

Rating: 5/5

If you’re really broke, pick up an apple pie from Westside and have a late-night dorm party. The real conclusion here, however, is that you’ve got to go to Hungarian to try out the pumpkin cheesecake. Trust us, you won’t forget it.

Barnard Columbia Fall Worth It