Lifestyle

2018 has been another thrilling, chaotic, and transformative year for many of us But no matter how your year has been, you deserve to end the year the way you want to! Of course, you’ve got the iconic countdown and ball drop in Times Square, but if you’re a city-dweller who’s not a fan of large crowds, Spectrum’s got you covered with some equally-as-exciting alternative events in NYC.

Post Malone Concert

9:00 p.m. | Barclays Center | Brooklyn, NY

Celebrate the end of the year with your favorite rapper at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Multi-platinum artist Post Malone will be performing songs from his newest album at this specially scheduled New Year’s Eve concert (which was added due to popular demand, so you know it must be good); if you can’t make it to this one, catch the one on Dec. 29 at 7:30 p.m.

Billy Joel Concert

9:30 p.m. | Nassau Coliseum | Uniondale, NY

This one isn’t technically in the city, but it’s still a can’t-miss concert that’s only a train ride away at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, NY. If you’re more of a soft rock kind of person, or if you’re keeping in the “New York State of Mind” throughout this holiday season, don’t miss his 25th anniversary of his last New Year’s Eve performance at the iconic coliseum of the island from which he hails.

Phish Concert

7:30 p.m. | Madison Square Garden | New York City, NY

Veteran group Phish is known for its unique style of improv, awe-inspiring audience participation at shows, and progressive rock genre of music. Founded in 1983, Phish has made it a custom to perform live at MSG on New Year’s Eve, so you’ll be taking part in NYC tradition by attending their Dec. 31 show this year.

Prospect Park New Year’s Eve Fireworks

10:30 p.m. | Prospect Park | Brooklyn, NY

Not much of a concert person? refer a peaceful end of 2018? Enjoy a beautiful firework display, complete with live music, to flash into the new year like you mean it! Bundle up and head to the Grand Army Plaza in Prospect Park to revel in a free night of friendship and resolutions. Live music starts at 10:30 p.m., and fireworks begin at midnight. Bring a blanket, some snacks, and good vibes.

Brooklyn Bridge Walk into the New Year

10:30 p.m. | Brooklyn, NY

Been on campus for a while, but still feel like a tourist? Check out this amazing Brooklyn Bridge tour to walk confidently into 2019. It’s pricey—$50 per person—but you’ll be able to experience authentic NYC attractions in a romantic, optimistic atmosphere complete with a firework display at midnight. The tour is offered in eight different languages, so find the one that works best for you. Squeeze in that extra bit of becoming a New Yorker in the last hour and a half of 2018 with good company and amazing views!

New York Road Runners’ Midnight Run

11:59 p.m. | Central Park | New York City, NY

If you’re more on the active side, consider participating in the New York Road Runners’ Midnight Run to race into the new year! The race is on a four-mile loop within Central Park, the perfect stretch of distance for you to reflect on your year and to set goals for the new one. Music and dancing start at 10:00 p.m., and the race begins with a burst of fireworks at the stroke of midnight. Make sure to register online for a spot in the race, and be aware that you’ll need to pick up your race number at specific times beforehand at the Road Runners RUNCENTER. Check the website for more details.

Night with friends

Columbia University | New York City, NY

This one’s exactly what it sounds like: Take the last night of the current year to spend quality time with your friends, new and old. Plan a spa night, treat yo’self to a quality dinner downtown , or order in for max comfort and convenience. Spending the transition into the new year with your loved ones is something that can’t be beat, no matter what you do this New Year’s Eve.

No matter what you’re interested in, there’s something in NYC for you on New Year’s Eve. Regardless of where you choose to go on this iconic night, Spectrum wishes you a happy, healthy, and productive new year!

columbia barnard holiday winter new