In the loop
Lula O'Donnell / Columbia daily spectator

Maybe you’ve always wanted to be part of a Columbia production before you graduate. Perhaps writing for a campus publication is on your bucket list. Or maybe you feel like your life has gotten a bit too routine, and you simply want to meet some new people. No matter what your goal is, it’s likely that there’s a group on campus that can help you achieve it. There’s no better way to get this new semester started than by exploring some new student organizations, so we here at Spectrum have created a short list of some clubs that are still recruiting this semester. Please note that this isn’t a comprehensive list; to find even more organizations to join, visit the Columbia clubs and organizations page and the Barnard officially recognized club list.

Performing Arts

Columbia University Ballet Ensemble (CUBE), Don Quixote

Bio:

“Columbia University Ballet Ensemble—or, as we endearingly call it, CUBE—fills the classical ballet niche in the university’s dance community. Each semester, CUBE gives ballet dancers of all levels of experience the opportunity to learn, rehearse, and perform classical and dramatic roles on campus, producing a work based on one-story ballet in a fun and challenging, yet supportive, environment.”

Audition Dates:

Sunday, Jan. 27, in Barnard Studio. Registrations begin at 12:30, while auditions are from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Contact:

cuballetensemble@gmail.com

New Opera Workshop

Bio:

“New Opera Workshop (NOW) offers Columbia University students the opportunity to perform and produce opera in a collaborative, student-led workshop setting. NOW entertains the Columbia University community with high-quality productions appropriate for young voices, while helping members gain the skills necessary for careers in the modern world of opera. NOW enriches the operatic art form by developing new music and performance practices in order to engage new audiences. NOW is proud to be recognized by the Governing Board of Barnard and a member of the Columbia University Performing Arts League. NOW’s executive board, creative teams, and performers are all Columbia University students. All our proceeds are used to produce NOW’s shows.”

Audition Dates:

Thursday, Jan. 24 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., in Lerner 555

Friday, Jan. 25 from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., in Dodge 620

Saturday, Jan. 26 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., in Dodge 620

Sign up for a time here.

Contact:

cuoperauntapped@gmail.com

Raw Elementz

Bio:

“Raw Elementz is the largest hip-hop dance crew at Columbia University. We are a student-choreographed dance crew that was established in 2001 by former Culture Shock dancer Kristin Liu. Raw Elementz is well-known for crowd-pleasing performances at both on and off-campus events from cultural shows to athletic events as well as promotional events and community service. Raw Elementz incorporates various styles of dance (like house, popping and breaking) into our choreography. We welcome members from any dance background and with any level of experience.”

Audition Dates:

Auditions will be on Wednesday, Jan. 30 from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. at Barnard Studio 1.

Contact:

rawelementz@columbia.edu

Orchesis

Bio:

“Does Winter Break have you itching to dance your little heart out again?? Look no further than Orchesis, the largest student-led dance group on campus! Whether you can't wait to strut your first “step-touches” or you were birthed in a tutu, Orchesis is for you! All styles and levels are welcome, and everyone will be cast!”

Audition Dates:

Saturday, Jan. 26

9-11 a.m.

12-2 p.m.

Sunday, Jan. 27

9-11 a.m.

Contact:

cuorchesischair@gmail.com

Columbia University Sketch Show (CUSS)

Bio:

“COME JOIN CUSS! The Columbia University (Low Budget) Sketch Show is looking for new members in every! role! Including: Producers, Directors, Cinematographers/DPS, Editors, Writers, Actors, Production Assistants, and Publicity Team! NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO JOIN! LOW COMMITMENT! MAKE FUNNY FRIENDS!”

Audition Dates:

“If you are an ACTOR: Come to Hamilton 411 on February 5th or 6th!

If you are a WRITER: Fill out and send in this application by midnight on February 7th: https://bit.ly/2sJVOsW

If you are seeking ANY OTHER POSITION: Fill out this form before your interview: https://bit.ly/2RWTIo3

Contact:

culowbudgetsketchshow@gmail.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Publications:

Consilience: The Journal of Sustainable Development

Bio:

Consilience is a global online publication dedicated to promoting interdisciplinary dialogue on sustainable development. By providing a public platform for discussion, we hope to encourage a global community to think more broadly, thoroughly and analytically about sustainable development. This publication aims to bring students, researchers, professors, and practitioners from a variety of disciplines and geographical regions in direct conversation with each other through an online, academically rigorous medium. We aim to encourage students to become involved in research: an invaluable problem-solving tool that has the power to transform unfocused passion into focused solutions. Consilience is designed to allow different disciplines to converse with each other in the high hopes that this cross-pollination of methodologies will spark ideas that ultimately lead to a higher quality of life for all people.”

Application Deadline:

Sunday, Jan. 27, 11:59 p.m.

Member Application:

Can be found here.

Contact:

aab2243@columbia.edu

The Columbia Review

Bio:

The Columbia Review is the oldest college literary magazine in the country and has published the likes of John Ashbery, William Carlos Williams, Allen Ginsberg, and more. We are dedicated to building a stronger literary community here on campus by hosting open mic nights, readings with established authors, parties, workshops, potlucks, and more. If you’re looking to make literature a bigger part of your time here at Columbia, or want to help foster a stronger literary community on our campus, we encourage you to apply. Applications are open to all undergraduate students from all four schools within Columbia University (CC, BC, SEAS, GS), regardless of age or major.”

Application Deadline:

Saturday, Jan. 26, 5:00 p.m.

Member Application:

Download here.

Contact:

TheColumbiaReview@gmail.com

Columbia Undergraduate Law Review

Bio:

“The Columbia Undergraduate Law Review is Columbia’s premier undergraduate legal publication, staffed by students from Columbia College, SEAS, GS, and Barnard, and publishing pieces from undergraduate students across the globe.

The goal of the Columbia Undergraduate Law Review is to provide Columbia University and the public with opportunities for the discussion of law-related ideas and the publication of undergraduate legal scholarship.”

Application Deadline:

Friday, Feb. 1.

Member Application: Can be found here.

Contact:

culreboard@columbia.edu

Politics/Activism/Social Justice:

Design for America: Barnard/Columbia

Bio:

“Barnard/Columbia Design for America (DFA) is part of a national network of passionate young thinkers and activists revolutionizing the way college students engage with and improve the world around us. We are moving beyond the classroom to harness the next generation of American social entrepreneurs, using our energy and resources as college students to design and implement local, sustainable projects with the potential for national impact.”

Application Deadline:

Sunday, Jan. 27, 11:59 p.m.

Member Application:

Can be found here.

Contact:

barnard-columbia@designforamerica.com

BLUEChats

Bio:

“In BLUEChats this spring, student facilitators and participants will discuss the societal implications of modern trends in music, fashion, television, and film. The cohort is opened to all Barnard students and anyone with an interest in social justice, identity work, pop culture, or community building is encouraged to apply! If your new year's resolution is to get more involved at school, this is the cohort for you :-)”

Application Deadline:

Tuesday, Jan. 29

Member Application:

Can be found here.

Contact:

buj2101@barnard.edu; sct2134@barnard.edu

Service:

Youth for Debate

Bio:

“Our mission is to improve education in public schools through debate and public speaking instruction, encouraging students to think critically and advocate for themselves.”

Application Deadline:

Attend an interest meeting at 8 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 29 at Hamilton to learn more.

Contact:

Can be reached here.

GlobeMed at Columbia University

Bio:

“GlobeMed at Columbia is one of 58 GlobeMed chapters working to improve the health of people living in poverty around the world. We partner with Gulu Women’s Economic Development and Globalization (GWEDG), a human rights organization based in Gulu, Uganda, to provide health services, economic empowerment, psychosocial support, and human rights advocacy for the communities surrounding Gulu.”

Application Deadline:

Thursday, Jan. 31st, 11:59 p.m.

Member Application:

Can be found here.

Contact:

columbia@globemed.org

Pre-professional:

180 Degrees Consulting — Columbia University

Bio:

“180 Degrees Consulting (180DC) is a global student-driven consultancy dedicated to providing non-profits with aid, future leaders with training and development opportunities, and vulnerable communities with more impactful change. The Columbia branch of 180DC works on semester-long consulting projects to help bridge the gap between talented undergraduate students interested in driving social impact and nonprofits seeking extra support and insights.”

Application Deadline:

Wednesday, Jan. 30, 11:59 p.m.

Member application:

Can be found here.

Contact:

Can be reached here.

Club and Intramural Sports

Columbia University Road Runners

Bio:

“CURR exists to support the running community of Columbia University. Whether you are a novice just getting started or a seasoned marathoner, we aim to provide a fun, supportive group to promote the best sport in the world! (Why is it the best? One word for you: ENDORPHINS!)Any and all runners are encouraged to join! Our club provides a year-long calendar of events that gives our runners a chance to participate in a variety of running-related activities around New York City. Events include daily group runs, weekend road races, the New York City Marathon, community-service events, pasta parties and much more.”

Application:

Follow this link and select “Road Runners Club - 4418” to join. There is a $15 semester due.

Contact:

curoadrunners@gmail.com

Columbia Taekwondo

Bio:

“Columbia Tae Kwon Do was the first martial arts club at Columbia University, founded in the early 1980s by Grandmaster B.M. Lee. Initially the club consisted of 8 black belts, and over the years it has grown to be one of the largest clubs at Columbia. In 2014, the club made a transition and partnered with Westside Taekwondo. Practices are now run by Master Lim along with several assistant instructors. The team is part of the Eastern Collegiate Taekwondo Conference (ECTC), a league consisting of approximately 20 schools and which holds 5 tournaments annually. Columbia has traditionally held the final tournament. The team has placed first several times in its division. The club has also been an active part of campus by performing demonstrations for numerous organizations and events.”

Application:

None.

Fee:

Free two week trial period.

Schedule:

Mondays from 9 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. in Basic Training Aerobics Room 3Wednesdays from 8 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. in Sparring Aerobics Room 3Thursdays from 9 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. in Competition Aerobics Room 4Sat 4 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in Poomsae Aerobics Room 3

Columbia University Naginata Club

Bio:

“Join us to learn the martial art of wielding the naginata—a halberd-style weapon originally used by samurai in feudal Japan. No prior experience or equipment is required! Our coach Katic Roche holds the rank of 5-dan and is a six-time U.S. national champion.”

Application:

None.

First practice:

2-4 p.m., Saturday, Jan.y 26, Dodge Fitness Center, Aerobics Room 3

Contact:

columbia.naginata@gmail.com

Science:

LionBase

Bio:

“Interested in solving actual problems through data science and product development while getting paid? And all alongside a community of undergraduates and graduates of all backgrounds? Then, come learn about LionBase this Saturday!

LionBase is a new data product development group that works to foster inclusivity at the intersection of data science and product development by connecting students and companies through impactful data products. Involvement is a serious (avg. ~6 hours/week), but rewarding commitment. Students work together, learn together, and grow together on exciting projects with real impact.”

Application Deadline:

Sunday, Jan. 27, 11:59 p.m.

Member Application:

Can be found here. There will also be an information session on 2:00 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 26., at 619 W. 113th St.

Systems Biology Initiative

Bio:

“We focus on the new and expanding field of systems biology, which encompasses synthetic biology and computational biology. We explore complex biological interactions through the engineering of new biological mechanisms that currently do not exist, the redesigning of biological mechanisms for a synthetic purpose, and the computational modeling of complex biological systems. The great potential and vast applications of this field are already beginning to unfold.”

Application:

Attend an information session on Thursday, Jan. 31 at Lerner 568.

Contact:

sbi.columbia@gmail.com

Columbia Space Initiative

Bio:

“The Columbia Space Initiative is a student space technology and outreach club founded on September 27, 2015. It serves as an umbrella organization for mission teams involved in everything from nanosatellite mechanical design to hosting space policy forums."

Application:

No membership application process, and we are recruiting new members from any and all academic backgrounds who have an interest in aerospace! Liftoff (Kickoff) Event for potential members will take place from 3 to 4pm next Friday, February 1 at Roone in Lerner.

Contact:

ec3180@barnard.edu

Academic:

Meade Anderson Undergraduate Philosophy Forum

Bio:

“Each session we hold a discussion on a topic of philosophical interest. Discussions do not require specific background knowledge or preparation. They are accessible and informal: everyone has the opportunity to speak but no one is required to. All undergraduates are welcome to attend.”

Application:

None.

Meeting Time:

8 p.m. on Wednesdays in 715 Philosophy Hall

Contact:

djc2203@columbia.edu; dvd2109@columbia.edu

Staff writer Michelle Zhuang and Spectrum editor Grace Lin can be contacted at michelle.zhuang@columbiaspectator.com and grace.lin@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Clubs Student Organization Activities Extracurriculars Spring Semester