Lifestyle
Sachi Thomsen /

Since it’s the month of love and because everyone loves a good romance movie—whether it’s a romantic comedy, a romantic drama, or even a romantic sci-fi film—here’s a romance movie for every major. So settle down, pop open a bottle of wine, and get ready to watch some movies hopefully (although more likely not) from which you’ll learn something that relates to your major.

African-American studies: Loving: This romance movie tells the story of the famous 1967 U.S. Supreme Court decision Loving v. Virginia. So, not only is this an epic love story (the last name of the couple in the movie is literally “Loving”), but it also narrates the story of a landmark civil rights decision that struck down state laws banning interracial marriage.

American studies: Clueless: If you haven’t already seen this movie, then “you’re totally buggin’.” This American classic not only stars Cher and her infamous style—which is still being featured in pop culture today—but it also contains quotes that you should consider placing in your personal dictionary, such as “as if!”

Ancient studies: My Big Fat Greek Wedding: Starring the Greek Portokalos family, this movie is about Toula Portokalos, a young Greek woman who falls in love with a non-Greek man, and her struggles to get her family to accept him. Fun fact: This movie was so good that it actually led to a sequel AND its own TV series!

Anthropology: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before: One of Netflix’s best rom-coms, this movie is the perfect chance for all you anthropology majors to study the ancient tribe of high school students. TBH, it’s pretty accurate.

Applied mathematics: The Mirror Has Two Faces: Starring Barbra Streisand, this movie is about a Columbia University English professor who falls in love with a Columbia University math professor. So, not only is this an opportunity for you to check out a possible career path, but it’s also about Columbia professors!

Archaeology: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2: There are two reasons why you should watch this movie. First of all, this movie is great for a movie night with your besties. Second of all, one of its main characters even participates in a summer archaeology program! So, to recap: great movie about sisterhood, a pair of pants, archaeology, and some REALLY good-looking guys. What could be better?

Architecture: 500 Days of Summer: The fact that this movie stars Tom, a trained architect, makes this perfect for any architecture major. It also was so good that it was actually nominated for two Golden Globes!

Art History: Sex and the City: While you may not think of art history immediately when you hear “Sex and the City,” the movie actually features a scene at the Museum of Modern Art. So make sure to pay attention to Carrie Bradshaw’s wise advice on fashion, sex, love, and friendship and, in particular, the scene where Carrie makes her and Big’s engagement announcement.

Astronomy: Stardust: A man falls in love with a star?? Sounds like a romance movie that is in alignment with the interests of any astronomy student.

Astrophysics: The Space Between Us: This interplanetary love story features life both on Mars and on Earth. Overall, this movie is a great opportunity for any astrophysics major to understand how the physics of different planets affect health and, more importantly, romance!

Biology: What to Expect When You’re Expecting: Following the lives of multiple expecting couples, this movie not only shows the potential horrors of pregnancy, but it is also absolutely HYSTERICAL. I mean, honestly, when else are you going to be able to see a woman taking off her bra during her speech at a conference while telling her husband that she wants to punch him and peeing herself?

Biochemistry: Losing Control: All you biochem majors should definitely be taking notes on this one. It’s about Miranda, a biologist, who is unsure whether to accept her boyfriend’s marriage proposal. Therefore, as all normal people do, she decides to have an inventive science experiment to decide for her.

Biomedical engineering: The Big Sick: Containing everything from culture clashes to sudden comas, this movie provides any BME major the chance to watch a good romance movie while thinking about some future research endeavors, particularly relating to romance, parents’ disapproval, and comas.

Biophysics: About Time: What could be more physics-y than time travel? What could be more bio-y than life and health? Put the two together—then you have the movie “About Time.”

Chemistry: Love Actually: After watching nine intertwined love stories, you’ll definitely gather enough data on the chemistry of love to publish a paper.

Chemical physics: Amélie: They bump into each other. That’s the physics. They fall in love. There’s the chemistry.

Chemical engineering: Warm Bodies: Zombies!? Humans!? Love is the cure!? A movie almost as awkward as “Twilight!?” This is truly perfect for any chemical engineering major and will definitely help you advance your desire to engineer zombies.

Civil engineering: Falling Inn Love: This brand new Netflix rom-com stars Christina Milian, who plays Gabriela, a city girl who travels to New Zealand after winning a contest called “Win An Inn.” There, she falls in love with a handsome local contractor from whom, while not a civil engineer, I’m sure you’ll definitely be able to learn some moves.

Classics: The Princess Bride: This is one of the best romance classics of all time. With sword fighting, giants, funny mustaches, and more, it’ll leave you saying, “as you wish” for days.

Comparative literature and society: Fifty Shades of Gray, Fifty Shades Darker, and Fifty Shades Freed: All these movies are really... well, they’re certainly something. Just watch them for yourself. You can either compare the three or attempt to compare them to reality.

Computer engineering: Love and Engineering: Atanas, a Bulgarian computer engineer, develops a formula in an effort to find the perfect wife, which he uses on other engineers as guinea pigs.

Computer science: Her: Falling in love with an operating system named “Samantha?” Enough said.

Creative writing: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: While definitely not the most lighthearted romance movie, this movie is creative beyond belief and will definitely teach you a thing or two about thinking outside of the box. This film explores the pain of heartbreak and how far someone will go to erase the memories at the root of their pain.

Dance: Grease: Featuring John Travolta’s infamous moves, this movie is great for any dance major to watch. Not only will you come away with some great dance inspiration, but also maybe you’ll even learn some new pickup lines to try at your next EC party, such as “tell me about it, stud.”

Data science: The 40-Year-Old Virgin: If you’re really majoring in data science, well, you signed up for it.

Drama and theatre arts: La La Land: Whether you plan on trying to make it in Hollywood or going into theatre, think of this movie as part of your preparation for your future struggles in life. It’ll help you prepare yourself for your inevitable brokenness and failures, all in the hopes of success.

Earth science: Titanic: This epic movie, starring young Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio, is about the historical trip on the “ship of dreams.” It’s full of romance and drama, and ultimately leads to 1,500 people dying in the ice cold waters of the North Atlantic in the early hours of April 1912. Essentially, it’s a great movie, and it shows how dangerous the earth can be.

Earth and environmental engineering: WALL-E: While not an outright romance movie, “Wall-E” definitely has its moments. This charming and emotional post-apocalyptic movie revolves around a lonely garbage disposal robot left alone on Earth, who goes on an adventure and falls in love with another robot named Eve along the way.

East Asian Studies: Crazy Rich Asians: Not only is this the best all East Asian-casted movie (even though there are only two), this movie is one of the best rom-coms from recent years, in general. With disapproving mothers, lots of dumplings, and a fantastic ending, this movie is one that everyone should see.

Economics: Other People’s Money: Starring Danny DeVito, this movie is about “Larry the Liquidator” Garfield, who is a corporate raider. He targets a small-town cable company that employs the majority of the town’s residents, and when Kate is hired to distract Larry and Larry falls for her, he must choose between Kate and the money.

Electrical engineering: Electric Love: What? They’re related. Well, they both have the word “electric” in their names.

Engineering mechanics: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days: Curious about the mechanics behind losing a guy while simultaneously making him fall madly in love with you? This is your movie. Watch it. Try it. Essentially, it’s worth your time.

English: 10 Things I Hate About You: This classic rom-com is based off of William Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew.” From first-time drunken escapades to a rendition of Shakespeare’s “Sonnet 141,” this is just such a great movie in so many ways.

Environmental biology: Notting Hill: Yet another great Julia Roberts rom-com, this movie is about a famous American actress and a London bookstore owner who fall in love and struggle over their radically different lifestyles (aka environments). Also they’re humans—which indicates biology!!

Environmental chemistry: Pretty in Pink: This movie is all about love (which results from chemical interactions in the brain) in the mystical environment called “high school.” Andie, an outcast at her high school in Chicago, is asked out by one of the rich and popular kids, named Blane. Dating someone from a different social sphere in high school? To say the least, it isn’t as easy as it sounds.

Environmental science: Two Weeks Notice: Lucy Kelson, a dedicated environmental lawyer, falls in love while working on a deal to preserve the Coney Island community center. Overall, this movie definitely has a “save the environment!” sort of feel.

Ethnicity and race studies: Guess Who: Starring Zoe Saldana, this movie provides the opportunity for any ethnicity and race studies major to study racial prejudice, as the movie follows Theresa and her fiancé Simon’s uphill battle for Theresa’s father’s approval.

Evolutionary biology of the human species: Maid in Manhattan and Love, Simon: Take a break from analyzing the evolution of the human species, and analyze the evolution of romance movies instead.

Film and media studies: When Harry Met Sally: Study it. It’s a great movie. Meg Ryan imitates sex noises in public.

Financial economics: Working Girl: In an effort to extract revenge on her boss, Tess McGill initiates a major deal with an investment broker. However, things quickly turn ugly and get really complicated. So to sum things up: money, romance, and drama. Sounds pretty perfect for a financial economics major.

Financial engineering: Crazy, Stupid, Love: This is here just because you’re crazy for majoring in financial engineering and can probably relate to the mentality of the main characters. Also, you probably need to take a break.

French and francophone studies: Chocolat: A young and rugged Johnny Depp, some homemade chocolate, and a fantastic story all set in a small French town. This movie is right up the alley of any French and francophone studies major.

German literature and cultural history: Rabbit Without Ears: This German romance is about a journalist named Ludo, who is sentenced to do community service at a daycare center, where he reconnects with Anna, a woman whom he met when he was young and who runs the daycare.

Hispanic studies: A Spanish Affair: Also known by the name Ocho Apellidos Vascos, this Spanish comedy is about a man named Rafa who has never left Andalusia. However, when he meets Amaia, he decides to leave his homeland and follow her on an unexpected adventure.

History: Shakespeare in Love: As he suffers from a major writer’s block, this movie is about Shakespeare’s search for a new muse. Along the way he meets a female aristocrat named Viola, and the two launch themselves into a dangerous and forbidden relationship. Also, it’s completely historically inaccurate.

History and theory of architecture: When in Rome: Rome has some really cool old buildings, and as a history and theory of architecture major, it must be something you’re interested in. So sit back, relax, and watch this rom-com—starring Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel—that tells the story of a woman named Beth, who travels to Rome, where she meets a persistent reporter.

Human rights: The Proposal: Not only is this an all-time favorite, but it is also the perfect opportunity for a human rights major to study what the rights of a Canadian in America are and how love affects those rights.

Information Science: You’ve Got Mail: Falling in love through email? This movie is basically a prelude to Tinder.

Industrial Engineering: The Notebook: When mill worker Noah and rich girl Allie fall in love, of course their small 1940s South Carolina town doesn’t approve. This movie is heartbreaking yet so romantic. For goodness sake, he builds her a house (which is definitely a move you all could try in the future if things are going downhill).

Italian: La Dolce Vita: This old-time Italian romance film was so good that it even won an Oscar. It’s about Marcello Rubini, a man who is simultaneously grappling with the overdose of his girlfriend, pursuing a heiress, and pining for a movie star. Needless to say, it gets complicated.

Latin American and Caribbean studies: This Love: From Trinidad and Tobago, this movie stars ex-sweethearts who are forced to reunite when a billionaire threatens to buy their Caribbean seaside town.

Materials science and engineering: Valentine’s Day: When you think of this movie, you may not immediately relate it to materials science and engineering. However, this movie is basically your major in movie romance form, as both are a culmination of a bunch of different things (majors and love stories) that are brought together in the end.

Mathematics: X+Y: A teenage math prodigy competing at the International Mathematics Olympiad? Sounds mathematically sound.

Mechanical engineering: The Other Woman: Engineering this many affairs definitely takes some skills. However, engineering a proper revenge takes even more. Maybe you’ll learn a thing or two.

Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African studies: You Only Love Once: This Bollywood movie, also known as Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, is about three friends who go on a road trip through Spain when one of them becomes engaged. It features everything from romance to dangerous sports such as skydiving and the running of the bulls. What more could one want in a great movie?

Music: Mamma Mia! and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again: Grab a microphone and get ready for a fun karaoke night. Not only do these movies have amazing songs, but they also provide some good life lessons. For example, you’ll learn from Rosie and Tanya that your real soulmate isn’t a person: It’s wine and carbs.

Neuroscience and behavior: 50 First Dates: Short-term memory loss? Okay Neuroscience majors, get to work and tell us what the science is behind this.

Operations research: Bridget Jones’s Diary and Bridget Jones’s Baby: Since Bridget Jones is consistently terrible at making decisions, maybe all you operations research majors can help her out. First she couldn’t decide who she loved. Then she got pregnant and didn’t know who the father was. What’s next Bridge?

Philosophy: Sixteen Candles: Compare and contrast Plato’s Republic to “Sixteen Candles.” Twenty pages on our desk by 3 p.m. on Monday.

Physics: 13 Going on 30: Time travel and aging? It’s general relativity.

Political science: Legally Blonde and Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, & Blonde: What could be more of interest to a future politician than Elle Woods’ journey through law school and eventual attempt to pass “Bruiser’s Bill”?

Portuguese studies: Sei Lá: This Portuguese film follows Madalena, a 30-year-old woman abandoned by the love of her life and her journey with her best friends to find true love.

Psychology: Silver Linings Playbook: Okay future therapists, this is your cue. Both of these main characters definitely need some help. For example, they have an argument about who’s crazier.

Religion: Keeping the Faith: A priest and a rabbi fall in love with the same woman; this religious love triangle will surely keep you entertained.

Russian language and culture: Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears: This great Russian romance shows the journey of Katerina’s—a woman left pregnant and alone—to find love again.

Russian literature: Formula of Love: This satirical Russian romance is loosely based on the story of “Count Cagliostro,” who is a magician. All in all, it’s strange, whimsical, and needs to be seen.

Slavic language and culture: Sexmission: This Polish romance is about two scientists who are placed in hibernation. However, when they wake up 50 years later they find themselves in a society composed exclusively of women.

Slavic studies: Ada, Don’t Do That!: If you like “Some Like It Hot,” then you should definitely watch this movie. It’s about a country gent who sends his tomboy daughter to a stuffy school where she starts to bring the dorms to life and make friends with a “Bohemian” crowd in the city.

Sociology: Leap Year: Since as a sociology major you’re studying human society, take this movie as a chance to study society on the Emerald Isle.

Statistics: My Best Friend’s Wedding: One of Julia Roberts’ many rom-coms, this one’s a movie that anyone who has ever been friendzoned will relate to. It’s about the love story between Julianne Potter and Michael O’Neal who made a deal to marry each other if they were still single at age 28. Now a question for all you statistics majors to answer—what is the probability that they would both still be single at 28?

Sustainable development: Moonstruck: Honestly, this movie has no direct relation to sustainable development. However, Cher does sustain this movie, and it was a large development in her career, as she won an Oscar for it.

Urban studies: Sleepless in Seattle: Take this as an opportunity to not only watch the infamous duo Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan in yet another rom-com but also to analyze Seattle and New York.

Visual arts: 27 Dresses: Watch this because the 27 bridesmaids’ dresses are all truly pieces of art.

Women’s and gender studies: Pretty Woman: Nominated for an Oscar and currently a Broadway musical, this modern Cinderella may be one of Julia Roberts’ best rom-coms of all time. Even though it doesn’t present the best feminist values, it is an ideal opportunity to analyze the life and growth of a female sex worker.

Staff writer Tian Griffin can be contacted at tian.griffin@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Romance Movie Major Love