The Shaft
Lola Lafia / Columbia Daily Spectator

Though it may feel like we’ve just arrived back on campus from winter break, February is already coming to a close, and you know what that means: It’s time to think about where you’re going to live next semester! If you’re bogged down with midterms, or didn’t have the chance to attend ResHall Rush (the room selection information session) last Thursday, don’t fret. Spectrum’s got you covered with the timeline of need-to-know dates to help you find your new home for the coming school year.

Columbia College & SEAS

Friday, March 1 – Thursday, March 7: General Room Selection Registration

- Make sure to register for room selection on the Housing Portal during this period. (You’ll have to sign your statement of intent to maintain guaranteed housing status!)

- This step is applicable to all those who are not registered to be in the Living-Learning Center next fall; so if you are an RA, SIC resident, or a member of Greek Life, you’ll have to do this. This also includes those who are registered with Disability Services and Study Abroad participants.

- If you will be moving off campus next semester, make sure to complete this step as well to let Housing know of your plans.

Tuesday, March 26: Room Selection Lottery Numbers Available Online

- Brace yourselves as you log on to the Housing Portal because this will be the day that you will (a) know you have been blessed to snag one of your first choices or (b) have to reconsider your list of options for the coming fall.

- You can find your lottery number under the “Registration Summary” step of the application.

Thursday, March 28: In-Person Group Room Selection Times Available Online

- If you’ve registered to be in a group, log on to the Housing Portal and look under “Registration Summary” to find out what time your group has been assigned for room selection. Make sure everyone in your group marks this date!

- If you’ve registered as an individual, you won’t be registering in-person, so you don’t have to worry about this step.

In-Person Group Room Selection

- When: Tuesday, April 2 - Friday, April 5; Monday, April 8 - Tuesday, April 9

- For groups only (not individuals)

- If you’ve registered to be in a group, you’ll need to be in the John Jay Lounge at your assigned time to choose your room(s). There will be printed-out floor plans of the residence halls for you to look at, so get there a bit early to make sure you know exactly what you’d like to choose.

Friday, April 12: Online Room Selection Appointment Times Available Online

- For individuals or groups that did not participate in in-person room selection, check the Housing Portal under the “Registration Summary” step on this date to see what online appointment time you’ve been assigned.

Online Room Selection:

- When: Monday, April 15 - Thursday, April 18; Monday, April 22 - Wednesday, April 24; Monday, April 29 - Tuesday, April 30

- For individuals and groups that did not register in-person

- For this step, you’ll need to log on to the Housing Portal, where currently available rooms and floor plans in the various residence halls will be listed and shown. Prepare yourself with multiple options beforehand, just in case the rooms you really want aren’t available anymore—and click fast!

If you have any further questions about this process, email housing@columbia.edu for more information. Or, if you’re more of a face-to-face conversationalist, feel free to stop by 118 Hartley with any inquiries you may have.

Barnard College

Wednesday, March 6 – Wednesday, March 13: Room Selection Registration

- If you are currently living in on-campus housing (or if you have lived on campus but are currently studying abroad) and want to live on campus this fall, make sure to register for room selection on the Housing Portal during this period to guarantee housing.

- If you are currently living off campus, are on a leave of absence (but planning to return next semester), or do not participate in room selection registration, you have the option to join the waitlist for non-guaranteed housing by filling out the Housing Application online by June 1.

Wednesday, March 6 – Friday, March 8: Housing Lottery Information Sessions

- Stop by Barnard Hall 409 from 7-8 p.m. on March 6 and 7, or from 2-3 p.m. on March 8, to learn more about how the Barnard Housing Lottery system works.

Sunday, March 10: Residence Hall Tours

- Curious about your options for next semester? Tag along on the following tours to get a better understanding of what the halls look like:

Cathedral Gardens: 12-1 p.m.

601 West 110th Street: 1-2 p.m.

600, 616, and 620 West 116th Street: 2-3 p.m.

Elliott Hall: 3-4 p.m.

Hewitt Hall and Sulzberger Tower: 4-5 p.m.

Plimpton Hall: 5-6 p.m.

- Make sure to have your Barnard ID with you to enter the buildings!

Information Tables:

Learn more about the housing process by stopping by at these locations at their respective times:

- Hewitt Dining Hall: Monday, March 11 11:45 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.; Thursday, April 11 11:45 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.

- Diana 1st Floor (outside Liz’s Place): Tuesday, March 26 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.; Wednesday, April 3 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.

Monday, March 25 and Wednesday, March 27 - Friday, March 29: SR 123 Lottery

- If you’re planning to live by yourself or in a 2- or 3-person group, and you are a rising senior, the deadline to form your group is at 10 a.m. on Friday, April 12. Lottery numbers will be posted at 5 p.m. on the same day.

- You’ll be selecting from corridor-style rooms on any day from Wednesday, March 27 to Friday, March 29.

- Note: Barnard room selection happens online on the Housing Portal.

Monday, April 1 - Tuesday, April 2: 4 Lottery

- If you’re planning to live in a 4-person group, the deadline to form your group is at 10 a.m. on Monday, April 1. Lottery numbers will be posted at 5 p.m. on the same day.

- You’ll be selecting from 4-person suites on Thursday, April 4.

Thursday, April 4 - Friday, April 5: 5 Lottery

- If you’re planning to live in a 5-person group, the deadline to form your group is at 10 a.m. on Thursday, April 4. Lottery numbers will be posted at 5 p.m. on the same day.

- You’ll be selecting from 5-person suites on Friday, April 5.

Monday, April 8 - Wednesday, April 10: 6 Lottery

- If you’re planning to live in a 6-person group, the deadline to form your group is at 10 a.m. on Monday, April 8. Lottery numbers will be posted at 5 p.m. on the same day.

- You’ll be selecting from 6-person suites on either Tuesday, April 9, or Wednesday, April 10.

Friday, April 12 and Monday, April 15 - Thursday, April 18: 123 Lottery

- If you’re planning to live by yourself or in a 2- or 3-person group, the deadline to form your group is at 10 a.m. on Friday, April 12. Lottery numbers will be posted at 5 p.m. on the same day.

- You’ll be selecting from studio singles and any remaining corridor- or suite-style rooms on any day from Monday, April 15 to Thursday, April 18.

If you have any remaining questions, stop by the Residential Life and Housing Office located in 110 Sulzberger Hall anytime between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Monday to Friday, or email housing@barnard.edu for more information.

Spectrum deputy editor Caroline Chen can be contacted at caroline.chen@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter at @ColumbiaSpec.

Room selection Housing Lottery Registration Portal Application CC SEAS Barnard