In the loop
Beatrice Shlansky / Columbia Daily Spectator

Happy Saturday!

Here are this week’s top stories and op-eds that you don’t want to miss.

1. Following a four-hour meeting that attracted over 150 spectators, saw two student representatives threaten to quit the council, and drew tears from attendees, the Columbia College Student Council shot down a referendum to gauge student support for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement via an anonymous vote Sunday night.

Students waited for hours on the Lerner ramps before the meeting in hopes of getting a seat in the Jed D. Satow Room—where the meeting took place—but Public Safety officers allowed only the first 19 students on line to enter the room. Over 130 students were forced to watch the livestream from a nearby overflow room, where they were unable to ask questions or participate in the debate. And by the end of the meeting, many had abandoned the overflow room altogether, gathering outside the main room to watch the debate through the glass.

2. Provost John Coatsworth will be stepping down from his position as Columbia’s chief academic officer in June after eight years in the role, University President Lee Bollinger announced Thursday morning.

As chief academic officer, Coatsworth was responsible for overseeing all central efforts related to faculty diversity, teaching and tenure, and graduate student unionization. This included a historic $163 million commitment to faculty diversity, and the beginning of preliminary negotiations with the union, which officially began last month, and are expected to last until at least April 2020 before a contract is written.

3. Money talks: In her latest column, Daphnie Ordóñez argues that many students at Columbia are here simply as a result of their wealth and our society as a whole places more value on the labor of wealthy students than students of a lower socioeconomic status.

4. The challenges of a dependency override, columnist Melissa Cook explains, is that the current financial aid process not only forces students to relive their trauma in order to get adequate financial aid, but also makes it nearly impossible to navigate when you do not have high financial literacy.

5. Columbia Musical Theatre Society cast a spell on audiences this past weekend with their performance of “Godspell.” The musical, which was writer John-Michael Tebelak’s master’s thesis at Carnegie Mellon University, is made up of series of parables from the Christian Bible. CMTS’ performance succeeded due to its teamwork and high energy.

6. “Revolt. She said. Revolt Again.” was performed by Barnard Theatre this past weekend. The series of vignettes and scenarios aims to challenge masculo-centric social norms. Barnard Theatre’s production featured top-notch acting and stellar effects, which were so over the top at times they distracted from the themes of the show.

Stephen Yang

7. This photo essay is a love letter to light. Take a moment to appreciate all the light that is ever-changing yet constant around you, on campus, and in the city; find movement within the static spaces. We hope you take time for yourself to find beauty in the world, wherever you are.

Elisabeth McLaughlin

8. Housing registration season is here. As overwhelming as this process can be along with midterms, don’t fret! Here is a comprehensive timeline for housing registration, as well as a helpful overview of everything you need to know about the process. If you’re interested in living with your cross-college friends, you should consider the BC/CU Housing Exchange. If you are interested in living in a group and want to know your options, or prefer to live in a renovated dorm, we got you covered at the Shaft. Good luck, and happy housing hunting!

Lola Lafia

9. And finally, happy spring break! Whether you are going home, traveling with friends, or rocking a staycation, we hope you enjoy this well-deserved break and return with relaxed hearts and minds.

The Week in Review comes out every Saturday at 10 a.m.

Spectrum editor Grace Lin can be contacted at grace.lin@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Barnard Columbia News Week in Review