In The Loop
Arielle Shternfeld / Senior Staff Photographer

Now that spring break is over, it’s time to get back to work. But, you’re still bound to need a break every once in a while. From lecture series to opportunities for community service to dance performances, here’s a list of some cool upcoming events at Columbia and Barnard that are perfect opportunities for you to take that well-deserved study break!

Body Sovereignty and Kids: How We Can Cultivate a Culture of Consent

Date: April 4 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Location: 202 Altschul Hall

Info: Join Columbia Health’s Sexual Violence Response and Barnard College for their 14th Annual Jeanne Clery Lecture Series. This year’s speaker is Monica Rivera, who will address the notion of cultivating a culture of consent from a young age in order to shift young adults’ perspectives before they reach campus.

CU Live: Talent Showcase

Date: April 3 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Location: Miller Theatre

Info: Join the University Life Events Council for a live talent show featuring students from across Columbia. Students will compete with various performances, including poetry reading, dance, singing, stand-up comedy, and visual arts.

Genesis: CU Generation Showcase 2019

Date: April 4 from 8 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Location: Roone Arledge Auditorium

Info: Genesis is CU Generation’s annual showcase celebrating the culmination of the group’s artistic creations over the past year. This performance will also feature other on-campus dance troupes, including Sabor, Raw Elementz, Columbia Raas, Columbia University Venom Step Team, ONYX Hip-Hop Dance Troupe, and Nu Dance Columbia. Tickets cost $8 for CUID/BCID and $10 for non-CUID/BCID.

“Paddington 2” Screening

Date: April 5 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Location: 501 Northwest Corner Building

Info: If you’re looking for a study break, then join Columbia University Ferris Reel Film Society for a screening of the movie “Paddington 2.”

Bears Beets Battlestar GalactOrchesis

Date: April 5 at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.

Location: Roone Arledge Auditorium

Info: Orchesis is Columbia’s largest performing arts group on campus. Come to watch them perform and celebrate their wonderful student choreographers. Tickets cost $6 for CUID and $10 for non-CUID.

Bacchanal 2019: “Bacchanal is Canceled”

Date: April 6

Location: Low Steps

Info: Bacchanal is Columbia’s annual music festival held at the end of each school year. This year, Tierra Whack, Rina Sawayama, and Oswald Fresh, the Battle of the Bands winner, will be performing. No headliner has been announced yet.

Alfredo Rodriguez Trio

Date: April 6 at 8 p.m.

Location: Miller Theatre

Info: Alfredo Rodriguez is a Cuban jazz pianist who will be joined by Munir Hossn on the bass and Michael Olivera on the drums. Tickets cost $20 to $35.

Speaker Series: Courtney Garvin

Date: April 9 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Location: 607 Hamilton

Info: Join Columbia University Photography Society and Courtney Garvin in a discussion on Garvin’s work examining Blackness and family history through photography. There will be pastries from Hungarian Pastry Shop.

Columbia University Ballet Ensemble: Don Quixote

Date: April 12 at 8 p.m., April 13 at 8 p.m., and April 14 at 2 p.m.

Location: Manhattan Movement & Arts Center

Info: CUBE presents Don Quixote, a comedic and flirtatious ballet. Tickets cost $10 for CUID/BCID and $20 for non-CUID/BCID.

Relay for Life of Manhattan at Columbia University

Date: April 13 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Location: Columbia University’s Morningside campus

Info: Relay For Life is the country's largest fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. This year, Manhattan’s Relay For Life will be hosted at Columbia. There will be food, entertainment, activities, raffles, performances, giveaways, cotton candy, and much more. The MCs will be Kaitlyn Kennedy, Miss New York 2019, and her sister queens. Registration costs $15.

9th Annual Columbia University Powwow

Date: April 13 from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Location: Columbia University

Info: Powwow is an event put on by the Native American Council, where Indigenous communities and their allies unite to celebrate and honor their identities through dance, singing, and socialization.

The Organization of Pakistani Students Presents Hungama 2019

Date: April 14 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Location: Low Steps

Info: Hungama is OPS’s annual mock wedding where the bride is from Columbia and the groom is from NYU. If you want to see some dancing, shoe stealing, and even the groom riding then definitely check out Hungama.

ONYX Spring Showcase: NYC Intercollegiate Dance Festival

Date: April 25 from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Location: Roone Arledge Auditorium

Info: ONYX is an all female on-campus hip-hop group. This is ONYX’s first annual Intercollegiate Hip-Hop Dance Festival in New York City, where the group brings together hip-hop dance teams from all over the New York City area to share the stage.

Barnard/Columbia Dances at Miller Theatre

Date: April 26 at 7:30 p.m. and April 27 at 7:30 p.m. and 2 p.m.

Location: Miller Theatre

Info: Barnard and Columbia students will be performing new works by Neta Pulvermacher, Yin Yue, and chameckilerner as well as Mark Morris’ World Power (1995) set by Marjorie Folkman. Tickets cost $12 for CUID/BCID and $20 for non-CUID/BCID.

Columbia Ballet Collaborative

Date: May 4 at 8 p.m. and May 5 at 3 p.m.

Location: Miller Theatre

Info: Columbia Ballet Collaborative (CBC) presents a program of six original works for its upcoming spring performances choreographed by Tom Gold, Morgan McEwen, James Shee, Durante Verzola, Nadia Vostrikov, and Andrea Ward. Tickets cost $10 to $22.

Staff writer Tian Griffin can be contacted at tian.griffin@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Study break Lecture series Community service Dance Photography