In the loop
Beatrice Shlansky / Columbia Daily Spectator

Happy Saturday!

Here are this week’s top stories and op-eds that you don’t want to miss.

1. Alongside academic policy, food insecurity, and mental health reform, students have voiced one defining issue in the upcoming elections for the Columbia College Student Council: the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement.

Both CCSC and Barnard’s Student Government Association have increasingly become forums for the BDS debate on campus. In recent years, council meetings over the issue have drawn hundreds of students into jam-packed rooms, incited hours-long debates, and sparked heated conversations across campus.

As BDS continues to gain attention on campus, both students and council members have pointed at the campaign as an issue that causes dilemma and division among the student body. Despite the fact that it may not have as tangible or direct of an impact on student life as most of the policies that CCSC typically addresses, council elections that take place in close proximity to BDS-related votes see significantly greater voter turnout and activity.

2. Nearly eight years after the birth of her twin daughters, Marissa Hoechstetter won a small but significant victory on Thursday: She will finally be able to obtain copies of her children’s birth certificates that do not bear the name of the obstetrician who she says repeatedly sexually abused her, thanks to a new bill passed by the New York City Council.

The bill, inspired by Hoechstetter’s story, allows parents to receive new copies of their children’s birth certificates without the physician’s name listed if that physician loses their medical license.

Hoechstetter is one of at least 19 women who have accused Robert Hadden, an OB-GYN who was employed by NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center, of sexually abusing them under the guise of medical practice.

Jaime Danies
The crowd at Bacchanal 2017.

3. Bacchanal did not announce the concert’s headliner as planned on Monday, claiming instead that the contract with the original chosen artist had been violated following a post from an unnamed sports media group on campus. This announcement came during the Committee’s first ever press conference, during which openers Tierra Whack and Rina Sawayama were announced.

Later in the week, on Friday, the Committee revealed via livestream that the claim about a lack of headliner due to contract violations had been a prank. The committee had had a headliner all along, but decided to prank the student body because they’d grown tired of “being the butt of jokes” and decided “to tell some jokes” themselves.

4. The second annual Dr. Saul and Dorothy Kit Film Noir Festival opened on Wednesday in the Lenfest Center for the Arts. This year’s festival seeks to recognize the often overlooked influence of crime writer Cornell Woolrich, a former Columbia student, on the genre. It will take place in the Katharina Otto-Bernstein Screening Room.

5. The number 18 was a decision that took over two years in the making. Columbia College and General Studies’ credit cap may be an academic policy, but it doesn’t just change the way we receive our degrees; it changes the culture of learning. In this feature, reporter Keri Kelly examines the implications of the credit limit and its impact on the Columbia student experience.

This past week, Barnard announced its first ever credit cap policy for sophomores, juniors, and seniors.

Brenda Huang, Stephanie Koo

6. Just prior to the release of admissions decisions for the class of 2023, columnist Hannah Barbosa Cesnik ruminates over her own experience applying to Columbia, and then four years later, applying to law school. She comments on her own struggles with identifying herself on applications and admits that, despite her Brazilian-American heritage, she never felt fully comfortable existing in spaces meant for Latinx identities.

Both Columbia and Barnard, who mailed acceptances to students earlier this week, had record low admissions rates for the class of 2023.

7. Getting an F is not the end of the world, op-ed contributor Austin Horn argues, life will go on even if we don’t think we will due to the highly competitive, stressful environment at Columbia.

8. There are only seven weeks left in the year; however, it’s not too late to improve upon your semester by changing your studying habits, getting more sleep, or venturing into the city and spending more time with people you treasure and love. Often the most important leap is a shift in mindset, and you can keep up that spring break state of mind while waiting for that April warmth to officially come. Take time to do some mid-semester reflection, and make these seven weeks count!

9. Monday is April Fools’ Day, and amidst midterms and the post-break slump, why not pull some campus-friendly pranks on your peers, roommates, and friends that won’t get you in trouble? Studying or scheming, spice up the much-dreaded Monday routine with some fun.

Sachi Thomsen

10. And finally, welcome back from spring break! As Columbia’s in-person housing selection kicks off next week, we will be launching Whiteboard, a newly-developed element of the Shaft, that will keep you updated on what rooms are taken and the lottery number that corresponds to them. Good luck!

The Week in Review comes out every Saturday at 10 a.m.

Spectrum editor Grace Lin can be contacted at grace.lin@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Week in Review Columbia Barnard