Social
Stephanie Koo / Staff Illustrator

One side effect of doing Bacchanal right is the hangover the next day (or even later that night). If you’re planning on going to darties all day and then to the concert, starting your drinking early in the morning, you’re in for a hangover the next day. Luckily for you, Spectrum has eight hangover remedies for you to try in the post-Bacchanal aftermath.

Drink water

In science-y terms, alcohol promotes urination because it inhibits the release of vasopressin, a hormone that promotes reabsorption of water back into bodily circulation, making the water exit through urination. To put it simply, alcohol makes you have to go to the bathroom. So after a long day of drinking, you’re bound to be dehydrated, which means it’s SUPER important for you to be constantly drinking water. Disclaimer: Don’t drink too much water, especially on an empty stomach. It might make you throw up.

Food, food, and more food!

If your soulmate is carbs, then you’re in luck because after a night, or in this case, a day of heavy drinking, you’ll be needing some fuel. Drinking has the potential to lower your blood sugar levels, giving you headaches and making you tired the next day. So, even though you’re going to be nauseous and may not feel like eating anything, try a piece of toast and some juice to start with. If you’re feeling daring, you could even try a breakfast sandwich or bagel from John Jay.

Pedialyte

Pedialyte is basically Gatorade for babies, and boy is it magical! Pedialyte helps prevent dehydration and replaces nutrients and electrolytes lost through vomiting and diarrhea. In short, it makes you feel more hydrated and energetic when hungover.

Advil

If you feel like you got hit by a train the night before, then Advil may be what you’re looking for. While it won’t necessarily cure your hangover, it’ll help with the massive headache and potential stomach ache you’re bound to have after going to darties all day long. Make sure you don’t take it on an empty stomach though, because it might make you nauseous and worsen your hangover.

Coca-Cola

While caffeine, contrary to popular belief, is not a very good hangover remedy, a little may be necessary because, let’s be honest, so many Columbia students are heavily addicted to their morning coffee. If you think some caffeine withdrawal could be adding to your epic hangover, try some Coca-Cola. While there isn’t as much caffeine as you’re probably used to, hopefully there will be enough to get you going in the morning.

Kombucha

You may be thinking “kombu-what?” Kombucha, which is a slightly-alcoholic and antioxidant-rich black or green tea that has been fermented, is supposed to help the liver detox. It’s also advertised to be a rich source of probiotics which help settle your stomach, aid digestion, and combat inflammation. So, if you want to feel more refreshed after an indulgent Bacchanal, try kombucha. Warning: Some of the flavors are a little… interesting.

Exercise

Now this may shock many of you, but exercise can actually help you feel a lot better if you have a hangover. Exercise requires hydration and nutrition, two of the things you’ll definitely need some help with the morning after Bacchanal.

Sleep

The absolute BEST hangover remedy is sleep. Alcohol can make you sleepy, but when it begins to wear off later in the night, the withdrawal can disrupt your sleep cycle. This means you don’t sleep well the night after drinking too much. The fact that most of you will already be sleep-deprived will only make it worse. So, if you’re fortunate enough to sleep in the next day (or are smart enough to call in sick), your brain and body will be thanking you for the couple extra hours of sleep.

Staff writer Tian Griffin can be contacted at tian.griffin@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Bacchanal Darty Hungover Remedies Social