In the Loop
Natalie Guerra / Senior Staff Photographer

Happy Saturday!

Here are this week’s top stories and op-eds that you don’t want to miss.

1. One tenured faculty member was convicted in federal court for retaliating against a professor who accused him of sexual harassment. Another allegedly kissed and groped a student he advised, and retired in a settlement with the University. A third was stripped of his titles and grants and removed from all administrative posts. The fourth was found guilty of sexual assault.

Months later, however, all four tenured faculty were still permitted access to campus—in some cases continuing to work with students.

In a yearlong investigation, Spectator examined four separate, high-profile cases in which a nontenured faculty or student accused a tenured faculty of sexual misconduct, revealing violations of consensual relationship policies and instances of sexual assault. The conclusions of these cases saw faculty renounce the right to teach, convicted of what they were accused, or felled in the court of public opinion.

But these cases also revealed that in the battle between Title IX and tenure, the latter is seemingly invincible.

Don’t have time to read the full story? We’ve compiled the six most important takeaways to know from this special investigation.

2. Chartwells will be Barnard’s new food service provider, Chief Operating Officer Rob Goldberg announced in an email sent to students on Thursday morning. Chartwells is a division of Compass Group, one of the largest food service companies in the world.

The announcement that the college will not renew its contract with Aramark, its current and controversial food service provider, comes after a student boycott and petition—which garnered over 1,000 signatures—urging the college to cut ties with the provider last November. In the protests, activists cited ethical concerns over Aramark’s past scandals and allegations of misconduct, including involvement with private prisons and serving maggot-contaminated food to prisoners.

Yasmine Akki

3. The first ever all-womxn lineup took the stage this past Saturday at the 55th Bacchanal concert. Headliner SOPHIE, the first openly transgender artist to be nominated for a Grammy award for Best Dance/Electronic album, was compellingly composed as she played for the crowd. Japanese-British singer-songwriter Rina Sawayama brought energy to the stage, and rapper, singer, and songwriter Tierra Whack was the fan favorite. View scenes from the day through the eyes of Spectator photographer Yasmine Akki.

4. Dance group Orchesis put on a sitcom-themed performance for their spring showcase this past weekend. Dancers performed interludes set to the theme songs from “That ’70’s Show,” “Friends,” “How I Met Your Mother,” and “Seinfeld.” Overall, the performance showcased the enthusiasm of those involved.

Auden Barbour

5. Alcohol discipline at Columbia has risen significantly in recent years, a trend that is unique among Ivy League schools and coincides with changing Residential Life policies. Ten years ago, when faced with a similar spike, students rebelled against what they called the “War on Fun.” But with alcohol write-ups more than doubling between 2016 and 2017, are we in the midst of a second war?

6. If you search “Columbia University comedy,” you’ll find pages and pages of op-eds and articles detailing the perceived sensitive nature of Columbia students and the “P.C. culture” that dominates campus. The national dialogue rings loud and clear: College students can’t take a joke. But according to student leaders involved in Columbia’s comedy scene, campus comedy isn’t dying; it’s changing.

Elza Bouhassira

7. In light of the recent college admissions scandal, Milagro Chavez-Cisneros, CC ’21, grapples with her own experiences at Columbia and acknowledges the fact that many hard working first-generation students also deserve to be here, and that they just may not have had the opportunities to pursue higher education.

8. Speaking up against the future Kavanaughs, Laura Salgado, CC ’19, reflects on personal experience to address the exigence of holding people accountable, given that many of our own classmates may very well grow up to become the next Supreme Court Justice.

Liz Nichols

9. Spring is in the air! As we happily welcome back the glory of Low Beach and Butler lawns, take time to hang out with your friends and enjoy the sun. Sometimes scouring for an open space on Low Steps can be as difficult as finding an empty seat in Butler during finals, so if you’re feeling adventurous, check out these seven spots to sunbathe. Don’t forget to wear that SPF, and tan away!

Elza Bouhassira

10. There are only three weeks of classes left, which, as exhilarating as it is, can also means it’s a stressful time for many. Amid course registration, summer planning, finals season, and the end of the semester, remember to prioritize your health and wellbeing if you ever feel emotionally and mentally overwhelmed, whether that means taking time to practice self-care, spending time with your chosen family, or reaching out to others. It’s the home stretch, you got this!

11. And finally, Asian Pacific American Heritage Month is coming up in May. This year’s theme for CU APAHM, which is celebrated in April while students are still on campus, is “Commotion.” The group aims to celebrate the disruptions and challenges to the stereotypes, expectations, and expressions that the community has achieved this year, along with the continued push for these changes. With various events hosted throughout the month, the closing ceremony will take place on April 26, under the theme of D.R.A.G.: Diasporic Representations of Asian Identity + Gender.

This week’s Week in Review comes out every Saturday at 10 a.m.

Spectrum editor Grace Lin can be contacted at grace.lin@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Week in Review News Columbia Barnard