In the Loop
File Photo / Columbia Daily Spectator

You’ve landed your dream internship, and are now counting down the days until sweet, sweet summer. There’s only one problem: You don’t know where you’re going to live. While getting a roof over your head for the summer can certainly be stressful here in New York City, you do have an abundance of options.

Columbia Summer Housing

If you’re an undergraduate in Columbia College or Columbia Engineering and your summer gig is not too far downtown, consider staying up here at MoHi to experience Columbia sans stress culture. While priority for summer housing is given to students taking summer classes, conducting research, or working on campus, all CC/SEAS students, including graduating seniors, are welcome to fill out the Summer Housing 2019 application. You’ll be able to specify your preference for a single or double, and also full summer session or interim. Check out the full list of rates and options here.

Barnard Summer Housing

If you’re a Barnard student who’ll be enrolled during the fall 2019 semester, you can apply for summer housing through the StarRez Housing Portal (make sure to act fast because the deadline is 4 p.m. on Tuesday, April 30). As with Columbia, you’ll be able to rent a room for one or both summer sessions. Check out the full list of rates and options here.

NYU Summer Housing

If your internship is further downtown, or if you want to experience the snazzier side of town, consider staying at a dorm in NYU. To apply, you first need to create an NYU ID number through this link. Rates are per person per week, and can be accessed here. Mandatory meal plans come attached to some housing options.

The New School Summer Housing

If you’re looking to live in Greenwich Village, the New School’s summer housing is another great option. Both the application and rates can be accessed here.

Columbia University Off-Campus Housing Assistance

Columbia Off-Campus Housing Assistance is another fantastic choice for apartment sublets if you’re looking to stay in the general vicinity of the University. OCHA features a variety of different housing options at different price points (rates can be accessed through this link). Since listings are posted in real time, make sure to check periodically.

Columbia University Off-Campus Housing, New York University (NYU) Housing, Sublets & Roommates and 2019 NYC Summer Interns Housing Facebook groups

Regardless of whether you’re looking for a specific location or apartment type, or are just in the hunt for new friends to live with, make sure to join these Facebook groups if you’re still in the search for accomodations.

StreetEasy

StreetEasy has a variety of apartment sublet options available, and is especially convenient because you can specify neighborhood and price point.

Airbnb

If your internship has odd start and end dates, or if you simply feel like living in luxury, consider a long-term Airbnb rental. We will warn you though that it’ll probably cost a pretty penny—more than any other option on this list.

Talk to seniors or graduate students

If you have graduating senior friends (or graduate student friends), chances are that they won’t start working until at least the middle of the summer, if not September. However, to secure housing, many seniors will sign their lease in May, which means, of course, that you can sublease their apartments during the summer.

Friends from the City

There are tons of Columbia and Barnard students from the city, and if you know some of them, you might be in luck. Although you definitely shouldn’t count on it, don’t be ashamed to ask if a friend has a spare room, or even just an extra couch to crash on.

Staff writer Michelle Zhuang can be contacted at michelle.zhuang@columbiapspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Summer Housing Apartment New York Sublease Sublet