In the loop
Aliya Schneider / Senior Staff Photographer

Happy Saturday!

Here are this week’s top stories and op-eds that you don’t want to miss.

1. Public Safety defines itself as a body independent from the New York Police Department, dedicated to maintaining the safety and well-being of students, faculty, staff, and campus guests. Much of its work centers around crime prevention, which involves partnering with other organizations on campus to hold workshops on sexual assault, crime prevention, and drug and alcohol abuse, according to its website.

But interviews with students of color show a fundamental distrust of and disconnect with Barnard Public Safety in regard to its role of protecting the well-being of a campus community. Because policies about the powers of Public Safety officers seem inaccessible, nonexistent, or inconsistently applied, many students said they believed that the distinction between Public Safety and NYPD is largely irrelevant, even if it exists in writing.

And citing a number of anti-black incidents over the past few months, specifically the physical confrontation of a black Columbia student last week—as well as years of systematic racism, discrimination, and violence—black students in particular fundamentally question whether an entity created to protect their safety does more harm than good.

2. In most cases, candidates are not privy to the Columbia Elections Commission’s rationale or procedures when they respond to rules violations. When a candidate issues an appeal, it is also unclear why the evidence submitted may or may not be sufficient in the face of a violation. Most candidates are not able to access information on the committee’s rationale when they submit an appeal, nor are they guaranteed an explanation of the final decision.

As a result, candidates emphasized that the lack of clarity in the way CEC policy violations are handled creates an environment where allegations feel personal, tensions build, and relationships can be severed. Despite the fact that the body is supposed to be collaborative, council members cited that this can mean a lack of cohesion within the council.

Kirill Buskirk

3. Scientists and musicians had jazz on the brain during Jazz and the Neuroscience of Decision Making at the Forum Monday night. Part neuroscience lecture and part concert, the event featured Professor of neuroscience and jazz guitarist Michael Shadlen in conversation and performing with the Director of the Louis Armstrong Jazz Performance Program Chris Washburne and pianist, composer, and the Zuckerman Institute’s first jazz Artist-In-Residence Helen Sung.

4. Ballet dancers of all levels took the stage for the Columbia University Ballet Ensemble’s production of Don Quixote this past weekend. CUBE’s adaptation of the classic Cervantes proto-novel highlighted the whimsy, beauty, and comedy of the literary masterpiece.

Gabi Levy

5. Hungama, a traditional South Asian wedding ceremony hosted by Columbia’s Organization of Pakistani Students and NYU’s Pakistani Students Association, took place on Low Steps this past Sunday. The ceremony featured dance performance groups from Columbia, Rutgers, and NYU, and served as a celebration of South Asian culture.

Aaron Jackson

6. In the early 1900s, elite American colleges routinely had quota policies to limit the enrollment of Jewish students. But Columbia didn’t have an explicit quota. Instead, it had a whole college. Claudia Gohn, staff writer for The Eye, takes us back nearly a century, to a time when Columbia’s Jewish applicants were sent to Seth Low Junior College in Brooklyn.

7. “I am proud to be running for every position on the McBain Hall Council,” reads the official campaign launch page, alongside a picture of the candidate’s crying face. View From Here writer AJ McDougall reflects on her write-in campaign last year. Why vote for her? Well, for one, she’s never committed a crime. But more importantly, she has a real appetite for pigeons.

Rya Inman

8. Embracing all aspects of our identity is a crucial aspect of our college experience, first-year Tatianna Dugue explains as she compares her experience at Columbia to her friend’s at Howard University, a HBCU.

9. Career paths are not always linear, columnist Liza Casella argues, and we do not have to curate our Linkedin profiles or secure the flashiest internship because in the end, we should all be exploring our future options.

Anton Zhou

10. With just over two weeks of school left, move-out season is fast approaching. While this can be overwhelming, make sure to plan ahead so you’re not scrambling to squeeze two more drawers of clothes into that already overflowing suitcase. Whether it’s browsing through summer storage options, or buying boxes on your own, make sure that your old stuff is going into good hands. If you’re wondering where to donate your old clothes or textbooks, there are plenty of resources and places on and off campus where they won’t go to waste.

11. And finally, the end of the year can be a sentimental time for many. You may be bittersweet about seniors leaving, melancholic about saying bye to your friends, or anxious about the three months of summer ahead. We want to extend a reminder to practice self-care and take time for yourself. Happy spring!

Week in Review comes out every Saturday at 10 a.m.

Spectrum editor Grace Lin can be contacted at grace.lin@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

News Week in Review Columbia Barnard