Professional
Beatrice Shlansky / Staff Photographer

Do you need to update your résumé? Practice for your upcoming interviews? Want to know all the different resources for getting an internship? Look no further than Beyond Barnard. Although it’s fairly new, the Beyond Barnard Initiative is an amazing resource for students’ professional needs.

If you’ve never been to the career center or don’t know how to book an appointment, here are all the best tips, tricks, and hacks to make the most out of this resource.

What exactly does Beyond Barnard do?

Beyond Barnard is Barnard students’ one-stop resource for all things related to professional life. At this office, you can find resources to help you with applications, find internships or a mentor, get help applying to graduate school, and so much more.

Where is Beyond Barnard?

Beyond Barnard is located on the second floor of Elliott Hall, at 49 Claremont Ave. (the corner of 119th and Claremont). Once you enter the building, take the door to the right of the front desk and go up one flight of stairs. If you get confused, the desk attendants are super helpful and will happily direct you.

Who can use Beyond Barnard?

Beyond Barnard serves all current undergraduates of Barnard College, as well as its alumni—so even if you’ve graduated, you still have access to all the resources that the office can provide.

How do I sign up for an appointment?

To sign up for an appointment, go to Handshake. Click on the second tab closest to the right that says “Career Center,” and after hovering over the tab, click on “Appointments” in the drop-down menu. From there, you can select “Schedule a New Appointment.” At this point, the website will guide you through the steps of finding the right adviser for your type of appointment (résumé/cover letter review, interview prep, etc.). Once you pick a category, it will show you the days with available appointments, and who the appointments are with.

I have an application due tomorrow but I don’t see any available drop-in times. Can I still talk to a counselor?

If you wish to have an appointment with a specific adviser, and the website shows that they aren’t available, you can email them and see if they can fit you into their schedule. Alternatively, you can attend walk-in hours, which are available Monday through Friday from noon to 2 p.m. Another option is to go to the Peer Career Advisors, who have drop-in hours Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. PCAs sit in the Beyond Barnard office and are students who review your résumé/cover letter. They usually have more availability than advisers.

What should I expect from my appointment?

Your adviser can help you edit or write your résumé, cover letter, or LinkedIn profile. They can help you find resources for internships, or give you advice and support for graduate school programs. Keep in mind that they are there to guide you, not to do your work, so don’t go in expecting them to write your applications.

How do I prepare for my appointment?

Since you only have a limited amount of time during your appointment, it’s best to have done as much preparation for your meeting as possible (this means that you should have a draft of your résumé or cover letter, or do ample independent research on internships and graduate programs). Come in prepared to know what you want to get out of the interview, and don’t be afraid to ask questions.

What else can I get out of Beyond Barnard?

Outside of having a one-on-one appointment with an adviser, Beyond Barnard also hosts a number of workshops and presentations, on-campus recruiting, and opportunities fairs. The office also provides numerous mentorship opportunities, including hosting Mentors-In-Residence throughout the semester. Additionally, Beyond Barnard provides rent-free suits for student interviews, conferences, or events, as long as the students pay for the suits to be dry-cleaned before returning them.

How will I know about the events that Beyond Barnard hosts?

Make sure that you are on the list for Beyond Barnard's weekly emails, which include internship opportunities, upcoming events, and other important information.

Still have more questions? Visit the Beyond Barnard website—and if you want information on Columbia’s career center, check out our article on it.

Staff writer Jazilah Salam can be contacted at jazilah.salam@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Beyond Barnard Career Center Internship Job Resume Cover Letter Interview Linkedin