Academics
Katherine Gerberich / Senior Staff Photographer

As midterms are approaching and your daily treks to Butler are starting to turn into all-nighters, you’re probably wondering why you hadn’t started studying or tried reaching out for help earlier in the semester. Before you break down under the overwhelming amount of stress you’re under, there might still be time to redeem yourself and your semester grades (and plan out your next semester more efficiently!) by using the tutoring services offered across colleges here at Columbia.

Tutoring services at Columbia

The Berick Center for Student Advising offers tutoring services to Columbia College and School of Engineering and Applied Science students for a variety of courses ranging from Principles of Economics to General Chemistry, to Multivariable Calculus. Technically, you can request a tutor for any course you are taking by meeting your advising dean and having them request a tutor. However, the courses listed by the CSA are more likely to have tutors available and other requests may not be fulfilled.

These tutoring sessions are 50 minutes long, and you can meet up with your tutor for sessions for up to two hours a week per course. Tutoring started the third week of the semester, so you’re a bit behind on booking yourself a tutor, but it’s better late than never!

If you don’t need tutoring for a whole semester and would rather have someone relieve you from the pain of one specific problem set you’re struggling with, certain departments offer help rooms with walk-in hours that students can visit. There are help rooms available for chemistry, calculus I-III calculus IV and higher, physics, and statistics. These help rooms are open to students from all colleges. For economics and biology, there are lists of private tutors you can contact freely to arrange tutoring sessions.

If you’re scrambling to write out that Literature Humanities essay you’ve been putting off for days, you can book an appointment at the Columbia University Writing Center to have someone read over your draft or even help you brainstorm an outline. Appointments usually fill up quickly, so we recommend going over Spectrum’s tips and tricks to navigating the Writing Center.

Tutoring services at Barnard

Through the Peer Learning Program at Barnard, you can request a tutor for individual or small group sessions for courses mainly taught at Barnard. Just like at the CSA, you can meet with your tutor for up to two hours a week per course. To request a tutor, email peertopeer@barnard.edu.

Alternatively, if you do not want a tutor for the whole semester, you can visit the help rooms listed above for courses you are taking at Columbia.

If you’re struggling with an essay, you can visit the Erica Mann Jong ’63 Writing Center. You can make an appointment with a Writing Fellow online. Appointments fill up quickly so make sure to plan ahead and book your appointment as soon as possible. There are also Science Fellows available to help you with scientific writing and data interpretation.

Alternatives

Although the services outlined above are free, if you wish to find a tutor through channels other than that of the University centers, there are posters on the walls of buildings like Hamilton, Pupin, Mudd, and Mathematics with contact information for tutors offering their services.

Staff writer Lina Bennani Karim can be contacted at lina.bennanikarim@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Tutoring Columbia Barnard Tutors Help room Writing center