Professional
Kirill Buskirk / Staff Photographer

As you progress through the first half of this fall semester, you may have a certain thought lingering at the back of your mind: How can I obtain an internship for the summer? This is something that many students probably worry about, but most don’t know that the Center for Career Education offers internship programs!

Here’s our guide to several programs associated with CCE that you may be interested in.

1. Columbia Exploration Externship (CEE)

This isn’t an internship, but CEE can definitely be valuable if you undertake this program. It is a program only for CC, SEAS, and GS first-year students that takes place during spring break.

CCE is a great way to gain exposure to fields that you may not be that familiar with. The program covers varying industries and firms, including consulting, media/publishing, and much more. The tasks you do during the externship may vary depending on which firm you extern at. For example, at the consulting firm I externed at, I was assigned to read company documents regarding global asset searching and proxy investors, and I even got to do my own research project!

If you’re a first-year staying in the tristate area over spring break, definitely try out for this program! Applications open on LionSHARE in the beginning of January and close at the end of the month.

2. Virtual Internship Program (VIP)

VIP is a virtual internship over the spring semester that can be undertaken by any student in CC, SEAS, GS, GSAS, or SoA who is enrolled for both the fall and spring semesters of the academic year. You need to commit to interning 10 to 20 hours per week over the course of the semester, and you’re offered a $600 stipend for the internship.

This is a great way to obtain work experience and boost your resume without even leaving the confines of Morningside Heights. If you’re interested in this, make sure you apply soon through LionSHARE––these applications are due by the end of October!

3. Columbia Arts Experience (CAE)

CAE is a program offered by CCE and the Arts Initiative that allows students to obtain internships in the arts and entertainment industries. Like VIP, CAE takes place over the spring semester and you must be enrolled for both the fall and spring semesters. However, unlike VIP, CAE will most likely entail an actual, on-site internship. Thus, the $600 stipend offered for CAE is especially beneficial for buying lunch and refilling your MetroCard!

If you’re a student interested in the arts or entertainment fields, then CAE is definitely the program for you. Check out the internships available on LionSHARE, and make sure you apply by the end of this month!

4. Navab Fellowship Program

The programs mentioned thus far only pertain to the spring semester. However, the Navab Fellowship Program, an internship program for CC first-years, sophomores, and juniors, takes place over the summer. This program is primarily offered by CC alumni and is mostly based in the New York metropolitan area.

The program also offers fellowships and financial aid if the cost of housing, travel, and lunch is a restrictive factor for you. Applications for the Navab Fellowship Program are due on LionSHARE at the beginning of February, and you’ll likely hear back from them shortly after that deadline.

5. Columbia Experience Overseas (CEO)

Columbia Experience Overseas is a program for CC, SEAS, and GS sophomores and juniors that allows students to intern abroad over the summer! You can intern at a wide variety of locations, including London, Singapore, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, and Amman! This program is perfect if you want to gain exposure to an international setting while also developing your professional skills. Housing is provided by CCE, and some internships may even offer pay!

Health insurance and an authorized work visa for the country you are interning in is necessary for CEO. Some financial aid is given, but CCE recommends that you apply for grants and funding programs if cost is a restrictive factor. Applications are due through LionSHARE in the middle of February, and you must also submit a school sponsorship application as per the Undergraduate International Travel Policy!

Hope this helped! CCE also offers more programs in the spring semester, so be sure to check them out here. If you’re also interested in finding out other ways CCE may be helpful to you, check out this Spectrum article.

Staff writer Abhishek Hariharan can be contacted at abhishek.hariharan@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

CCE Internship Externship Professional Summer