In the loop
Sookeun Jung / Staff Illustrator

As Halloween approaches, there’s one more reason for Columbia students to celebrate the end of the month: fall break. Some may be returning home for the break, while others may be staying on campus, studying for their remaining midterms or taking advantage of the city without worrying about classes for a couple of days.

If you’re in need of inspiration for activities to do or day trips to take over the break, Spectrum has compiled a mini fall break bucket list to take advantage of the fall festivities happening around the city!

The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze

When: Oct. 3 to31, Nov. 1 to3

Price: Starting at $23 for adults

If you’re tired of the typical pumpkin patch, then you should check out the Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze, which puts any and all pumpkin patches to shame. With a display of over 7,000 carved pumpkins, including a pumpkin carousel and windmill, this sight truly brings spooky season to life. The site is located in Van Cortlandt Manor, which is around a 47 minute car ride from campus. Alternatively you can catch a train ride there from Grand Central Station.

Horseman’s Hollow

When: Oct. 31, Nov. 1 to 3

Price: Starting at $22 for adults

Forget the single haunted house—this haunted tour takes you back three centuries to a haunted village tormented by the “Headless Horseman.” As you walk around the cemetery, old tavern, and church, expect some spooky visits from the old inhabitants. This attraction is located in the fittingly named Sleepy Hollow, which is a 35 minute car ride from campus. Alternatively you can catch a train ride there from Grand Central Station.

Bane Haunted House

When: Oct. 31, Nov. 1 and 2

Price: $35 per person online

If you’d rather stay in NYC for a haunted experience, you should make it worth your time and visit one of the spookiest haunted houses in the city. With over 100 actors “haunting” the building, you definitely won’t be ready for what they have in store for you. Located in Hell’s Kitchen, it’s only a short subway ride away from campus.

Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park

When: Opening on Oct. 31

Price: Free to visit

It might be too early for Christmas and winter festivities, but considering how full the Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park can be during the holiday season, you should take advantage of it as early as possible. Walk around the shops, drink some delicious hot chocolate at the Lodge, and maybe venture out onto the ice rink if you’re confident in your skating skills. It makes for a cute and wholesome outing for you and your friends.

Ice Skating

When: Already open

Price: Wollman Rink: $12 weekdays, $19 on weekends; Rockefeller Rink: $25

There are other ice rinks already open other than the one in Bryant Park. Both the Wollman rink and the Rockefeller rink are open for the season. Just like the Winter Village, they definitely won’t be as busy as they usually are during the holiday season, so you should definitely take advantage of that during this upcoming fall break.

The Met Cloisters

When: Open seven days a week

Price: Use your student ID for free entry

For scenic views of fall foliage overlooking the Hudson River while walking around a medieval castle filled with paintings and artifacts, visit the Met Cloisters. The Cloisters is a museum governed by the Met specializing in medieval architecture. If you’re tired of visiting many of the same museums in the city, the Cloisters is a short 30 minute subway ride away from campus.

Storm King Art Center

When: Oct. 31, Nov. 1 to 4

Price: $48 with bus package

The Storm King Art Center is an open air museum in the Hudson Valley where large-scale sculptures are scattered around the 500-acre landscape. For a very instagrammable day trip with your friends, you can get tickets on the website that include a bus pick up and drop off from the Port Authority bus terminal.

Staff writer Lina Bennani Karim can be contacted at lina.bennanikarim@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Columbia Barnard Halloween Fall Break