In the loop
Sookeun Jung / Staff Illustrator

Whether it’s the costumes, the love for all things horror, or the candy, Halloween has something for everyone. Even though the scariest thing you have probably encountered was your last midterm, it’s never too late to get into the spooky spirit. Here are some ideas for you to spook up your life!

1. Visit a Halloween-themed event

Some of the most fun attractions to visit in October are haunted houses— and thankfully, New York has its fair share of them. Some of the most famous ones include Bane Haunted House in Hell’s Kitchen (it was voted the scariest haunted house five years in a row!) and Blood Manor in Tribeca. Of course, if you plan on staying on campus, Lerner has its own haunted house that is open to CC and SEAS students. Other cool off-campus trips include The Great Jack-O-Lantern Blaze (which happens every weekend until the end of November, in case you can’t make it over Halloweekend) and the Village Halloween Parade on Halloween night, where you can show off your own costume and marvel at those of other New York creatives.

2. Get dressed up

Some people have their Halloween outfits planned months in advance, but if that’s not you, know that it’s never too late to find a last-minute costume—or make yourself a DIY one at home. Need some on-brand costume ideas? Check out Spectrum’s multiple articles on CU-inspired Halloween costumes to find out how to dress up like your favorite library, your tuition bill, or your major.

3. Spook up your space

This isn’t as hard as you might think! Even putting a little bowl of candy outside your room or buying mini pumpkins to put on display in your space could do the trick. Another option is to buy spooky themed decorations, or make your own (Pro tip: Throw a Halloween party at your place where you and your friends can make decorations so that you won’t have to do all the work).

4. Watch a horror movie

There are so many horror movies available on streaming platforms, but even if you aren’t a fan of horror, there are alternatives to watch to get into the spirit—like “Hocus Pocus” or “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” Alternatively, you could even make a trip out of it and watch a movie in the theaters! “Joker” has gotten raving reviews, and even if it’s not necessarily a horror movie, it will definitely have you spooked. Other Halloween-related movies that are currently being shown include “The Addams Family,” “Countdown,” “Zombieland: Double Tap,” and “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.”

5. Cook Halloween-themed recipes

Of course, there is no specific food reserved exclusively for Halloween—but there are some great dorm-friendly recipes online that incorporate the holiday. Some favorites are Halloween-themed cookies, ghost brownies, petri-dish jello shots and Frankenstein avocado toast (for all of our avocado toast lovers). Lastly, Trader Joe’s sells edible haunted house kits that you can buy for $7.99.

Happy Halloween!

Staff writer Jazilah Salam can be contacted at jazilah.salam@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

halloween festive spooky fall costume dorm decorating spirit