in the loop
Brenda Huang / Senior Staff Illustrator

As Halloweekend approaches, many students have been busy with midterms all month and didn’t have time to go shopping for Halloween costumes. If you’re still wondering what you should be for Halloween or can’t settle on one costume idea, then you should leave it up to the stars and let your zodiac sign decide.

Whether it’s your rising, sun, or moon sign, check out some easy last-minute costumes and get inspired for this weekend!

Aries:

The bold and assertive Aries always has competition on their mind. Get into the competitive spirit by dressing up as a cheerleader or athlete. This is an easy last-minute costume: Just slip on your favorite team’s jersey, and you’ll be ready to go. If you want to go above and beyond, which as an Aries you’ll definitely want to do, add a twist to your costume and cover yourself in fake blood to be a “zombie” cheerleader/athlete. Alternatively, you can dress up as the iconic Rosie the Riveter. You just need a red bandana and a denim shirt.

Taurus:

The loyal and sometimes stubborn Taurus makes for a great, dependable friend to everyone. As a Taurus, you should definitely dress up as your favorite loyal, protective character. Rachel from “Friends,” Eleven from “Stranger Things,” Leslie Knope from “Parks and Recreation,” Ron Weasley from “Harry Potter”; the list goes on. Pick your character, recreate their most iconic outfits, and you’re all set!

Gemini:

Often misunderstood, the Gemini’s versatility and ability to understand social situations through different perspectives is often mistaken for insincerity and hypocrisy. Geminis are able to thrive in any social situation, which is why you should be an up-and-coming social media “influencer.” Grab your vlogging camera or iPhone and your most Instagram baddie outfit and you’re ready to be the center of attention. Alternatively, since you’re always labeled as two-faced, grab a friend and make it a duo costume. Salt and pepper, angel and devil, cop and robber—there are many different easy costumes you can wing.

Cancer:

The most sentimental of the signs, Cancers are very compassionate and maternal and will always be there for their friends and family. This is why you should dress up as a member of the Kardashian clan. Who can forget Kim’s iconic crying face and the army of children they suddenly all seem to have? It’s the perfect Cancer costume, so grab some biker shorts, an oversized sweater, and some chunky black sunglasses, and you’ll be able to pass as any member of the family. Alternatively, another iconic maternal figure is Serena Williams. You just need to get your hands on a tennis racket and some tennis gear, and you’re good to go.

Leo:

Full of pride and always ready to steal your spotlight, Leos can channel their big egos and lordly energy by dressing up as the one and only Daenerys Targaryen. If you have a long, flowy white dress and are able to copy her hairstyle, then you’re all set for your last-minute costume. Alternatively, you can also dress up as a lion, which can be predictable for a Leo, so you could change it up and go as a Columbia lion! Just wear your Columbia gear and pretend it’s Homecoming all over again!

Virgo:

As classic overthinkers, Virgos are always super organized and on top of every assignment they have. This is why you should dress up as everyone’s favorite witch, Hermione Granger. Dress up as a classic school girl, add a black cape, and find yourself a makeshift wand. Another costume idea is Blossom from “The Powerpuff Girls.” You just need a hot pink dress, a black belt, and a red bow to top it all off.

Libra:

It doesn’t come as a big surprise that the Libra, whose zodiac symbol is the balance scale, should dress up as a judge or as a yoga instructor. Both symbols of balance and peace, they perfectly encompass the Libra’s strong sense of justice and fairness. If you can get yourself a mallet and a long black cape, then you can go as a judge. If you don’t have access to these things, you can simply go as a yoga instructor by slipping on a tank top and a pair of yoga pants.

Scorpio:

The fierce and manipulative Scorpio can be a little intense sometimes, but they are still passionate about everything they put their minds to. For an easy last-minute costume, you should go as Wednesday Addams, which only requires you to wear a black dress with a white button-up underneath and put your hair in pigtails. Darken the circles under your eyes, if they aren’t already after all those all-nighters spent studying, to emulate her intense gaze. Alternatively, you can go as Severus Snape by wearing a black turtleneck, black pants, and a long black coat, and carrying a wand.

Sagittarius:

The Sagittarius is very optimistic and adventurous, so you can take two very different paths to find your costume. You can dress up as a fairy by wearing a sparkly dress and covering yourself in glitter (wings are recommended but not necessary if you don’t have time). On the other hand, you can dress up as Lara Croft or Indiana Jones, two characters known for their adventurous nature. You just need a pair of shorts, a tank top, and two toy guns for Lara Croft and brown pants, a black top, a cowboy hat, and a piece of rope for Indiana Jones.

Capricorn:

Capricorns are career-oriented and are always busy working, so you better not get in their way. This is why you should dress up as a spy by wearing all black, putting on those tiny black sunglasses, and carrying around a fake gun. Alternatively, you could also go as Tony Stark. Since going full Iron Man can be pretty hard to do last-minute, you can just put on a suit and some tinted sunglasses and say you’re going undercover as Tony Stark.

Aquarius:

Aquariuses are creative, innovative, and most of the time, very passionate about science. This is why you should dress up as Bill Nye the Science Guy. You’ll just need a lab coat, which you probably own as an Aquarius, and a bow tie. Alternatively, you could go as Ms. Frizzle from “The Magic School Bus.” All you need is a blue dress, which you can cover in cutout planets and stars.

Pisces:

The Pisces is typically very emotional and artistic and often uses their emotions as inspiration for their projects. This is why you should dress up as your favorite artist or painter. Vincent van Gogh is an easy one since you can just tape up your ear, wear a straw hat, and carry around a printed picture of his most famous paintings. Alternatively, you can dress up as Daria Morgendorffer from “Daria,” whose sarcastic and cynical demeanor resonates with the Pisces attitude. You just need a green jacket, black skirt, and thick, round glasses.

Staff writer Lina Bennani Karim can be contacted at lina.bennanikarim@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

columbia barnard zodiac halloween costumes