Lifestyle
Margaret Maguire / Senior Staff Photographer

After making it through nearly three months of the semester, you deserve a time to rest, relax, and even check out a movie or two.

There are a number of great options right now, including the new flicks being released next week, or all the movies you missed during midterm season. Since there are so many possibilities, here’s our list of the top five new movies to watch this Thanksgiving break:

1. “Parasite”

Directed by Bong Joon-ho, “Parasite” is a South Korean film about a poor family who deceives and slowly infiltrates its way into the lives of the extremely wealthy. Despite the theme of social inequality at its core, “Parasite” has numerous hilarious and outrageous scenes that work into the film’s overall premise.

This movie was extremely well-received by the critics: it has a 99 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 290 reviews). “Parasite” also won the Palme d’Or this year, which is the highest honor bestowed at the Cannes Film Festival. It was released in the U.S. on Oct. 11, but it’s still in theaters!

2. “Ford v Ferrari”

“Ford v Ferrari” is all about racing. The film takes place around the time of the 1966 24 Hour of Le Mans car race in France, and focuses on a team led by Henry Ford II that aims to beat the strong Ferrari race team. The film stars Matt Damon and Christian Bale as the two main characters spearheading Ford’s project. “Ford vs. Ferrari” is directed by James Mangold, and has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 92 percent. The film was released on Nov. 15, so it’s sure to be a great watch during the break if you’re interested in high-action racing scenes!

3. “Knives Out”

“Knives Out” is a murder mystery. It follows a detective (played by Daniel Craig) called in to investigate the murder of affluent writer Harlan Thrombey, who was killed during his family reunion. The movie is directed by Rian Johnson—director of 2017’s “The Last Jedi”—and received rave reviews: The movie is currently sitting at 97 percent on Rotten Tomatoes with 112 reviews. If you’re at all into the murder mystery genre, then “Knives Out” is a great film to watch. The film is due to be released throughout the U.S. on Nov. 27.

4. “Frozen 2”

“Frozen 2” is the sequel to the 2013 hit film “Frozen” and retains, for the most part, the same directing and voice acting crew. This reintroduces us to Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven, now all heading on a journey to find out the origin of Elsa’s powers. Based on the trailers released thus far, the film looks like it will have stunning designs and interesting character developments, especially for Elsa.

If you are a fan of “Frozen” or want to watch a movie with your family, then you should definitely check out “Frozen 2”! The film has an 82 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes with 92 reviews and will be released on Nov. 22.

5. “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”

This film stars Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers, host of the classic television show “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.” The plot revolves around the relationship between Rogers and a journalist who is tasked to interview him. Hanks’ portrayal of the beloved Mister Rogers is one of the highlights of this movie—you can even spot him in the classic red cardigan. If you ever watched or saw clips of the original show as a kid, this is definitely something worth seeing! The film releases on Nov. 22 and currently has a 96 percent on Rotten Tomatoes with 113 reviews.

--

We hope this list gave you inspiration for what to watch, and from all of us here at Spectrum, we hope you enjoy the upcoming break!

Staff writer Abhishek Hariharan can be contacted at abhishek.hariharan@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Movies Thanksgiving Cinema Activities Theater