Lifestyle

Thanksgiving break is (thankfully!) right around the corner, and though you’re most likely eager to go back home, binge-watch Netflix, and/or catch up on sleep, we hope that you also take a few minutes to appreciate the people and things that have made life better for you here in MoHi. To give you a little inspiration, we here at Spectrum have come together and crafted a list of things we are grateful for.

Abhi: Blue Java/Cafe East

I’m grateful for Blue Java Butler/Cafe East. They provide me with enough medium lattes to get me through my 8:40s and 6:10s every Monday and Wednesday. Without that caffeine boost, I have no idea how I’d make it through the day!

Caroline: Friends

I’m thankful for friends who are willing to spend even a couple of minutes to catch up when we see each other on campus. Even if we don’t have any classes together or don’t even see each other that often, know that I’m super grateful for your time and presence in my life.

Jane: Therapy dogs and the radio at Liz’s Cafe

I’m thankful for the tiny, unleashed therapy dogs I occasionally come across on campus that spark joy within me (even if just for a split second), and the radio at Liz’s Cafe that blasts music from the ’50s to the ’90s the entire day. It makes me feel like I’m a part of something greater and allows me to daydream about dancing at a disco while working on my upcoming essay on a Monday morning.

Jaz: Facilities workers

I’m grateful for the Facilities workers, especially the ones who work in Plimpton. They’re always gracious and friendly, and I’m super thankful for all that they do for students.

Lina: The second floor of Milstein

I’m thankful for the swiveling green chairs on the second floor of Milstein. They’ve literally had my back on my most stressful day. Sitting there, facing the huge window and terrace, and gazing at the Barnard campus and Broadway make me feel super peaceful and calm. They always seem to be free when I need them most, so that’s always a plus.

Michelle: Avocado toast bar

The avocado toast bar in Ferris. I’ve told you once, but I’ll say it again: Ferris’s avocado toast bar is consistent, delicious, nutritious, and portable. What more could you ask of breakfast?

Sydney: Uptown Vocal

Uptown Vocal, the jazz a cappella group I sing with on campus. It’s given me some of my best friends and rehearsing with them is always the highlight of my week.

Ariana: The community on campus

I am grateful for the community I have found on campus, especially my friends. I was scared of coming to a new university and worried that I wouldn’t have a good group of people to connect with, but now I can’t imagine my time here without them.

Staff writer Michelle Zhuang can be contacted at michelle.zhuang@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Grateful Thanksgiving