in the loop
Brenda Huang / Senior Staff Illustrator

December is here, meaning that it’s time for holiday songs to replace your usual work playlist. With the thousands of songs available, there’s one for every emotion. Here’s a list of what to listen to to get you in each mood.

Stressed⁠: Carol of the Bells

It’s the holiday season, but you’re stuck in Butler studying. This carol exhibits the perfect blend of winter joy and finals stress to keep you going.

Determined⁠: Santa Claus is Coming to Town

This song gives a determined vibe. The repeated commands to “be good for goodness sake” make me want to obey because Santa is coming and we mustn't disappoint. As a proud Jerseyan, I have to recommend Bruce Springsteen’s rendition of this song.

Flirty⁠: Santa Baby

Euphemisms are a plenty in this song. With lyrics like “come and trim my Christmas tree,” the undertone of sexual tension is apparent but subtle enough to play for children.

Homesick⁠: I’ll Be Home for Christmas

It’s the final stretch for the semester, and the holidays are a reminder of home. For those who haven’t been able to return in the past few months, this song is for you. It’ll evoke longing but also something to look forward to these last few weeks, especially for those who are able to go home for the holidays.

Calm⁠: Silent Night

If not for the dulcet language of the song with constant references to sleep, you will feel calm listening to “Silent Night” for the tranquil melody as well.

Funny⁠: I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

This song will make you laugh for the dramatic irony of a kid whining about his mom kissing Santa Claus.

Childish⁠: All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth

We all remember the time when our baby teeth were falling out. It made us feel like we were growing up, something many children look forward to. Oh, if they only knew....

Excited⁠: It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

As the name suggests, this song reminds you of all the ways the holidays are upon us. Listen to this when you need a light at the end of the finals tunnel.

Energetic⁠: Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree

Pulling an all-nighter? You might need something more than caffeine to keep you up. Play this song for a mini dance break in your seat.

Nostalgic⁠: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

Whether you like him or not, Dr. Seuss was a staple of many of our childhoods. This includes the holiday classic “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” and I mean the original 1966 version that we all watched in elementary school before break. Listen to the theme song to remember the good old days.

Jealous⁠: Winter Wonderland

While it has snowed in New York already, I think we can all agree campus doesn’t exactly look like a winter wonderland. If you, for whatever reason, would like to feel jealous, put on this song and remember that other areas get real snowy landscapes and not grey slush.

Jolly⁠: We Wish You a Merry Christmas

A Christmas classic⁠, this song will lift your spirits immediately. It’s an easy sing-along with upbeat music and happy lyrics. Keep as a back-up when jolly vibes are needed.

Happy holidays, Columbia, and good luck with finals!

Staff writer Ariana Novo can be contacted at ariana.novo@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

holidays songs moods finals winter