Professional
Olivia Treynor / Staff Photographer

Whether you’re an incoming first-year or a rising senior, it’s never too late nor too early to start scouting for job openings during your time at Columbia or Barnard. Not only can it be an enriching experience to prepare you for life after graduation, it can also serve as a good source of financial support.

At Columbia, job opportunities range from desk attending at locations as varied as Avery Library and Dodge Physical Fitness Center, tutoring, assisting at an academic office, to independent contractor jobs, such as bartending. Likewise, if you’re a Barnard student, there are a multitude of research or administrative positions and babysitting gigs at your disposal, and you can even take advantage of some job opportunities at Columbia.

Starting Out: Getting Help From Career Centers

The Center for Career Education and Beyond Barnard can equip you with the information and tools to get you where you want to be.

CCE drop-in hours for 10 minute Quick Question sessions with a career counselor are available Monday through Friday from 1-4 PM. Another option is to schedule a longer appointment with a career counselor through LionSHARE. Here are some quick CCE tips about resume crafting: tailor each resume to each application, make the employer feel your motivation and passion, and get practice being interviewed. (Check out Spectrum’s previous articles on how to perfect the college resume and tips to make the most of your trip to CCE.)

For Barnard students who want to meet with an advisor or register for a Student Employment Overview session, log into Handshake or email beyondbarnard@barnard.edu. Drop-in hours about paperwork are 12-1PM everyday at Beyond Barnard (Elliott Hall, Second Floor). (Check out Spectrum’s previous article on how to navigate a visit to Beyond Barnard).

How To Find and Apply to On-Campus Jobs at Columbia

Federal Work Study & Casual Jobs

Students at Columbia College, School of Engineering and Applied Science , School of General Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and Columbia School of the Arts can qualify for either Federal Work-Study (FWS) or casual jobs. Federal Work-Study is applicable for U.S. citizens and permanent residents with a financial aid work-study allocation, while casual on-campus jobs are open to any Columbia student.

On-campus offices that hire students who qualify for both work-study and casual jobs include CSA Tutoring Service, Columbia University Libraries, Dodge Physical Fitness Center, Columbia College Information Technology, GS Academic Resource Center, and University Event Management. However, the Columbia University Visitors Center hires only students with a work-study allocation.

Work-study jobs are posted here, and the Center for Career Education LionSHARE Database posts casual on-campus job listings. Students are also advised to reach out to specific offices to inquire about potential openings that are otherwise not advertised on the databases. If you are successfully hired, fill in these required forms before you start working to ensure that you can get paid.

Bartending

The Columbia Bartending Agency hosts multiple mixology courses throughout the year. In order to join the CBA and have access to bartending gigs, a student has to register for a course and score 95% or above on the final exam and pass an interview. Courses are $300 for a total of five classes held once a week. Upcoming sessions beginning on March 23, 26, and 27, respectively, are currently open for registration and can be found here. If a student fails to reach the 95% threshold or does not pass the interview stage, they are required to retake the entire course for admission into the agency.

How To Find and Apply to On-Campus Jobs at Barnard

Federal Work Study & Casual Jobs

Students at Barnard can qualify for either Federal Work-Study (FWS), Barnard College Job (BCJ), and casual jobs. FWS and BCJ are applicable for U.S. citizens and permanent residents with a financial aid work-study allocation either from the federal government or Barnard, while casual on-campus jobs are open to any Barnard student.

Examples of on-campus jobs include administrative assistant, tutoring, and research assistant positions.

The main portal to apply for jobs through Barnard is BarnardWorks, where job opportunities are posted in different categories. Fill in this form to create an account if you are an international student. In order to start work-study or casual job employment, you will need to complete the I-9, W-4, and WTPA forms. More details can be found here. You can turn them in at Beyond Barnard (Elliot Hall) during Drop-In Hours along with your ID. A list of acceptable IDs can be found here.

Independent Contractor Jobs: Babysitting and Bartending

All Barnard students have access to babysitting and bartending jobs.

In order to access the babysitting page on BarnardWorks, a student has to first sign an agreement at BeyondBarnard. Then, simply click onto babysitting listings and upload your resume to apply.

Students who want to become a bartender have to take and pass a two week bartending training course that has a fee of $25. To keep up with course openings, check Barnard’s Handshake page.

Staff writer Jane Mok can be contacted at jane.mok@columbiaspectator.com Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Columbia Barnard Federal Work Study Barnard College Job Job Employment