In the loop
Staff Photographer / Maryam Hassan

Graduates from all 18 of Columbia's schools celebrated at University Commencement Wednesday.

Commencement season is right around the corner, and many are waiting to see how the most anticipated celebration of the academic season for the graduating class will fit into today’s reality of social distancing and the dramatic spread of the coronavirus. Above all, seniors are left wondering how they will be able to celebrate this special time alongside their classmates given the administration's unconventional change of plans for the end-of-the-year events.

On Thursday, April 9, University President Lee Bollinger announced that individual schools will have their respective Class Days online, and the University’s 266th Commencement will be recorded and shared virtually on Wednesday, May 20. Bollinger noted that the University plans on holding an in-person celebration at a later date, but he could not give specifics on when that event will be or what form it will take.

On March 20, Barnard President Sian Beilock first announced the postponement of Barnard’s 128th Commencement. On April 9, Beilock announced that this year’s conferral of degrees will also take on a temporary virtual platform, but reassured Barnard’s graduating class that “Barnard remains committed to holding an in-person ceremony to celebrate the Class of 2020,” and that the college is exploring options for fall 2020 or spring 2021.

Spectrum will be back with more live updates on the Commencement of 2020. In the meantime, we give a special shout out to the class of 2020. Your remarkable journeys and new beginnings will not go uncelebrated!

Staff writer Haleigh Stewart can be contacted at haleigh.stewart@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Commencement Graduation Covid-19 Coronavirus Virtual