In the Loop
Lula O'Donnell / Staff Photographer

The first few weeks of a new school term are always stressful, especially if you partake in the tedious process of sifting through the countless clubs and teams on campus just to find the select few that interest you. Whether you have just started your club hunting journey or are already taking a break from the hubbub of it all, here is a list of clubs and organizations that might interest you. This list includes those that are still recruiting in the third week of classes as well as ones that are open to new members all year round.

The list below is organized based on when clubs stop taking applications. All dates below are in Eastern Standard Time.

Application-based clubs (as of Sunday, Sept. 23):

GlobeMed at Columbia University

GlobeMed at Columbia strives to improve public health in impoverished countries around the globe by promoting international partnerships. To support a long-term partnership with Gulu Women’s Economic Development and Globalization, GlobeMed has, according to its club webpage, “raised over $43,000 through campus campaigns, awareness-raising events, and individual giving programs” since 2018.

Check out its Instagram and Facebook for more.

Applications are due on Sept. 23 at 11:59 p.m. Apply here.

Columbia University’s Black Theatre Ensemble

Columbia University’s Black Theatre Ensemble seeks to support and develop the skills of Black actors, playwrights, and those interested in theater by allowing them to express themselves artistically.

Applications are due on Sept. 24 at 11:59 p.m. Apply here.

Columbia Mock Trial

Mock Trial is an activity during which teams compete against each other and simulate a real trial. According to its Facebook page, Columbia Mock Trial is one of the “most successful mock trial programs in the country” with a top 10 finish at the 2019 national championships, and it also holds events for students interested in attending law school.

Tryouts are on Sept. 25, 26, and 27. Apply here.

Deep BLUE

Deep BLUE is a Zoom-based cohort program facilitated by Barnard students in order to talk about topics relating to identity and social justice. It lasts eight weeks and is developed with an intergroup dialogue framework.

Applications are due on Sept. 25 at 5 p.m. Apply here.

Meet Me at the Museum

Meet Me at the Museum is a club that creates museum tours and takes elementary schoolers on them in order to enrich the students' learning. The tours are centered around pieces that relate to the students' curriculums.

Applications are due on Sept. 25 at 11:59 p.m. Apply here.

PULSE

Courtesy Of

Pulse is a program designed to mentor students who wish to go into the medical field. Through PULSE, students can gain connections with a number of licensed physicians.

Check out its Instagram for more.

The Barnard Bulletin

The Barnard Bulletin is Barnard’s lifestyle magazine. It focuses on campus life and administrative news.

Applications are due on Sept. 26 at 10 p.m. Positions available are Managing Editor, Section or Associate Editor,

Staff Writer, and Media Co-Director or Social Media Editor.

Alianza

Alianza is a student group aimed at creating a community for Latinx students on campus. Currently, the group is looking for a first-year representative.

Applications are due on Sept. 27 at 11:59 p.m. Apply here.

Almaworks

Courtesy Of

As a startup accelerator, Almaworks provides Columbia-affiliated startups with mentorship opportunities, access to a corporate network, and interactions with investors.

Columbia Women’s Alliance of Venture & Equity

CWAVE is a group for women interested in pursuing a career in venture capital or private equity. It focuses on preparing women to enter male-dominated fields. Check out its Instagram and Facebook for more.

Thai Club at Columbia University

The Thai Club aims to spread awareness about Thailand’s culture, politics, society, economy, heritage, and ideals.

Columbia Journal of History

The Columbia Journal of History is an Undergraduate History Council publication founded to afford students the opportunity to share their historical research projects with the rest of the community. Check out the CHA’s Facebook for more.

Applications are due on Oct. 1 at 11:59 p.m.

Apply here

African Students Association

The African Students Association seeks to create a space for discussions about Africa. It welcomes anyone who is interested in exploring the complexity of Africa’s political, social, and cultural landscapes.

Fill out an interest form here.

American Red Cross at Columbia University

CU Red Cross aims to implement preventative measures and provide relief for those dealing with emergencies. On campus, CU Red Cross often runs blood drives and discusses issues concerning international humanitarian law.

Check out its Facebook for more.

Applications are rolling. Complete the executive board application form here.

Columbia University Women of Color Pre-Law Society

The Women of Color Pre-Law Society is a pre-professional organization that aims to empower women of color who are interested in pursuing law. It is open to people of all backgrounds and identities.

Applications are rolling. Apply to the society’s board here.

Columbia + Barnard Flip the Senate

Courtesy Of

Columbia + Barnard Flip the Senate is a volunteer-based grassroots organization whose members are volunteering to help Democrats flip their state’s Senate seats from red to blue and win crucial elections this fall. No experience is necessary.

Check out its Instagram for more.

Fill out an interest form here.

Clubs open to contributors all year round:

Bwog

Courtesy Of

Bwog is a student-run campus publication that publishes content for Columbia undergraduates, often with a satirical or lighthearted tone.

Keep up with Bwog through Instagram and Facebook.

It has open weekly meetings every Sunday.

Columbia University Swing Dancing Club

Columbia University Swing Dancing Club offers lessons taught by professional swing dancers. It also hosts dances and workshops throughout the year.

Follow its Instagram and Facebook to keep up with its events!

The Columbia Federalist

Courtesy Of

Like The Onion, the Federalist is a satirical newspaper that publishes articles every three weeks at Columbia.

Check out its Instagram and Facebook for more information.

Meetings are on Sundays at 8:30 p.m. Sign up here.

Third Wheel Improv

Third Wheel Improv is a coed improv group that holds weekly “rehearsal squads” open for all.

Weekly meetings are on Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

Harry Shi, Katherine Carraway, Robyn Fohouo, and Willa Nagy contributed reporting.

Deputy Editor Jane Mok can be contacted at jane.mok@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Clubs Recruiting Societies Student Organizations teams magazines publications pre-professional