Social
Olivia Treynor / Senior Staff Photographer

Every roommate comes with their quirks. These TV shows present the best (and worst) kinds of roommates you might have, from comedians and party animals to neat freaks and grouches. Whether you’re searching for a roommate now or you’ve had the same one for the past four years, take a look through these iconic roommates and find out which one you vibe with.

Titus Andromedon in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

As a natural performer and dramatist, your roommate brightens your living space and makes it an exciting place to come home to. Just as Titus loves the spotlight, your roommate is a social butterfly and makes a great host for your house parties. Titus is also known to dish out straight facts. At the end of the day, your best conversations occur during a spa night on the couch or over delivery pizza.

Quote: “One of us has to put food on my Barbie-themed TV trays.” - Titus Andromedon, “Kimmy Gets a Job!”

Nick Miller in New Girl

Your roommate is pretty unreliable in terms of paying the rent on time and helping around the house. Nick can be rough around the edges and seems to complain every second of the day. Coming home, you might see your roommate watching a football game with a beer in hand or sleeping on the sofa. On the other hand, despite their tough exterior, they care deeply about your friendship. They make for an A+ friend, but as a roommate, they’re the worst.

Quote: “I only want to make a drink a coal-miner would want. Straight forward. Honest. Something that says, ‘I work in a hole.’” - Nick Miller, “Re-launch”

The Rose Family in Schitt’s Creek

Just as the Roses were brought together under unfortunate circumstances, you might be rooming with your family during this pandemic. Especially if you have siblings, you face similar problems to David and Alexis’s: from eating each other’s foods to stealing each other’s clothes. However, above the bickering and disagreements, being under the same roof has pulled you all closer together.

Quote: “What kind of barnyard were you raised in, where you just eat someone else’s food?!” - David Rose, “The Throuple”

Samantha White in Dear White People

They’re a go-getter. Samantha’s a leading activist, the host of a radio podcast show, and a political speaker, all while juggling the work of a full-time college student. Your roommate is determined, and will not take “no” for an answer. Even though they’re focused on their own work, they also take the time to bond with their friends. You respect their sense of purpose and how they always seem to be doing the impossible.

Quote: “We’re going to bring together every marginalized group on this campus and demand a protest.” - Samantha White, “V.1, Ep. VII”

Judy Hale in Dead to Me

You’re living with your ride-or-die, literally. Judy would cover up a murder with you and confess to the crime. You spend Saturday mornings making breakfast together and watching reruns of your favorite TV show. As best friends, living together was the best choice you’ve ever made.

Quote: “Come on. I have tissues and whiskey in my room.” - Judy Hale, “Pilot”

Mork in Mork and Mindy

One way or another, your weird, extraterrestrial roommate has become a permanent part of your life. Their quirky and sometimes unconventional behavior leaves you asking if they’re from this planet, but their lack of common sense and their constant confusion always makes you laugh. They are always eager and willing to try new things and make for an adventurous friend.

Quote: “You can’t trust a man with four lips. All you get is double-talk.” - Mork, “Mork the Gullible”

Monica Geller from Friends

Your roommate is a born homemaker. They’re the one who picks up after you, keeps the apartment clean, and buys the groceries. Frankly, you couldn’t live without them. As they’re a perfectionist, their nagging can sometimes be overwhelming, but they always make it up to you with a home-cooked meal or a tray of freshly baked cookies.

Quote: “I need you to be careful and efficient. And remember: If I am harsh with you, it’s only because you’re doing it wrong.” - Monica Geller, “The One with Rachel’s Going Away Party”

Staff writer Emma Cho is a huge fan of Schitt’s Creek and thinks she and Alexis Rose would be great roommates. She can be contacted at emma.cho@columbiaspectator.com. Follow her on Twitter @emsoojin.

roommate housing dorms apartments off campus on campus