Social

FLIP GS representative Chris Sinclair and other members of the group talk to new students at the activities fair. (2016)

When is Activities Day and how will it be organized?

Once again, College Walk and Low Steps will remain empty for Activities Day. Instead of the typical sea of stands and confused first-years holding up maps trying to find their way around, the event will be hosted on LionLink with links to virtual “rooms” to meet each club and its representatives.

This semester, to accommodate students living in different time zones, the fair will be held on Jan. 15 from 10 a.m to 12 p.m EST and Jan. 17 from 8 p.m to 10 p.m EST.

How can you make the most of Activities Day?

Activities Day is an opportunity for students to discover new clubs, meet representatives of clubs they’re interested in joining, and ask questions about club activities. Like a typical club fair, make sure you already have a list of clubs you’d like to meet to ensure you visit as many clubs you’re interested in as possible.

Researching the clubs on your list and going through their social media prior to the fair can give you an idea of the club’s overall mission and help you come up with specific questions to ask during your visit. For more guidance on researching clubs before the fair, make sure to check out this article.

Keep in mind that club activities this semester will once again be online, so you should make sure to ask about the club’s experience hosting virtual meetings and events this past fall. If you’re in a different time zone, definitely ask how that might impact your involvement in the club, and whether there will be opportunities to contribute asynchronously if needed.

Interested in joining Spectator or Spectrum this semester?

Have we piqued your interest? That’s great! Make sure to stop by Spectator’s room if you’re thinking about joining our journalism or business and innovation divisions. Feel free to ask any questions you might have about our recruitment process, the breakdown of our sections, or what you can expect working with us. Please check out our recruitment website for more information.

Have fun at Activities Day! Maybe we’ll see you there.

Staff writer Lina Bennani Karim can be contacted at lina.bennanikarim@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectrum on Twitter @CUSpectrum.

Columbia Barnard Clubs Activities Fair Activities Day Club Fair Fair Extracurricular