Professional
Princeton Huang / Staff Photographer

Updated Feb. 22, 2021, at 12:04 a.m.

With the hunt for summer jobs and internships underway, Columbia has several virtual resources available for its students, including the Center for Career Education and Beyond Barnard. These centers can help you find the resources necessary for job applications, internships, applications to graduate schools, and much more.

Columbia

The Center for Career Education serves students and alumni from Columbia College, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the School of General Studies, and the School of the Arts. CCE provides individual career counseling, skill development workshops, employer events, and access to jobs and internships for students.

CCE now offers virtual “Quick Questions” sessions that last for 15 minutes for undergraduates. These are held every Monday to Friday from 2 to 4 p.m. EST, as well as from 9 to 10 a.m. EST on Tuesdays and Thursdays. More information about these sessions can be found here. If 15 minutes isn’t enough, 30-minute slots are available through the “Career Center” tab on LionSHARE. CCE also sends out weekly newsletters every Monday with upcoming career events.

CCE provides various programs, including internship programs and funding services. These opportunities allow students to develop their professional skills and explore various careers and interests.

The Columbia Global Centers also offer internship opportunities around the world for international students. While the official deadline to apply for programs was Jan. 25, students are still welcome to apply to programs marked as “open” on this spreadsheet.

You can contact the office through this link or at 212-854-5609.

Barnard

Beyond Barnard is open to Barnard undergraduates and alumni and focuses on career development, student employment, internships, fellowship support, and advising for graduate and professional school.

While there is Beyond Barnard staff in the Hub at Milstein, all appointments and events remain virtual. The office held over 3,800 appointments in 2020, most of which were virtual. Beyond Barnard has also recently started offering students virtual 15-minute appointments with Peer Career Advisors to discuss topics such as job and internship searches, cover letters and résumés, interview preparation, and LinkedIn. To attend a session, students must make an appointment via Handshake. Beyond Barnard also offers resources through the “Career Center” tab and a YouTube channel where several workshops and panels are recorded and posted. If you are a Barnard student, make sure that you’re on the “BB Weekly” mailing list to receive weekly newsletters with exciting opportunities.

Beyond Barnard also offers an internship program that provides grants for unpaid internships. To be eligible, students should apply for an unpaid internship or partner with an organization to design a new unpaid internship. Students don’t need to have already secured an internship to apply. The application deadline for the spring semester is Feb. 4 at noon EST.

You can also join Barnard Connect to connect with alumni and find more opportunities. The platform hosts a service known as Barnard Mentoring, which allows alumni, parents, and employers to post projects that Barnard students can apply for and get involved with. These projects are generally short-term virtual experiences with defined goals that span two to four weeks and allow students to develop skills in a certain area. Alumni with potential projects can post them here if they fit the criteria.

You can contact the office at beyondbarnard@barnard.edu or 212-854-2033.

Handshake, LionSHARE, and LinkedIn

On Handshake and LionSHARE, students can find various opportunities for jobs and internships. The websites are designed to allow recruiters to approach students who fit their criteria and to help students find opportunities that suit their interests and skills. The platform also runs a blog, where students can find advice to make their applications stand out. For more information, make sure to check out our article on using Handshake (or LinkedIn) effectively. While LinkedIn isn’t directly tied to the University, students can make use of the platform to reach out to other recruiters and form connections. With a Columbia or Barnard UNI, students can also access LinkedIn Learning for free to develop skill sets in high demand.

Upcoming events in February and March (all times in EST)

Feb. 2, 1 to 2 p.m.: Barnard Student Employment Overview Session

Feb. 2, 4 to 6 p.m.: 2021 Virtual Micro Career Fair: Diversity**

Feb. 2, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.: SiriusXM + Pandora Summer Internship Virtual Open House

Feb. 3, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.: Acing the Virtual Interview (SiriusXM)

Feb. 4, 6 to 7 p.m.: Learn About The New England Center for Children

Feb. 5, 6 to 6:45 p.m.: BB Career GPS - First Year, Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors*

Feb. 10, 6 to 6:45 p.m.: Raine Information Session

Feb. 15, all day: Deadline to apply for PrIMER and the Tamer Fund for Social Ventures

Feb. 16, 4 to 6 p.m.: 2021 Virtual Micro Career Fair: Engineering**

Feb. 19, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: 2021 Virtual Jobs And Internships Career Fair #1

Feb. 19, 2 to 5 p.m.: Mentor-in-Residence: Maya Hartleben, Account Coordinator, Growth Management at BuzzFeed*

March 8, all day: Deadline to apply for CCE’s Virtual Behavioral Practice Interview Program**

March 9, 4 to 6 p.m.: 2021 Virtual Micro Career Fair: Startups**

March 11, 4 to 6 p.m.: Networking From Home: Policy And Social Impact

March 16, 4 to 6 p.m.: Networking From Home: Creative Careers**

March 19, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: 2021 Virtual Jobs And Internships Career Fair #2**

*available only to Barnard students

**not available to Barnard students

With the shift to a virtual environment, Beyond Barnard Dean A-J Aronstein advises that students get back to the basic best practices of networking and “double down on being certain that everything is updated.” He also urges students to keep in mind that the opportunity and career fairs are not a panacea, but rather a chance to meet multiple employers at once. Students should continue to engage with employers, whether through virtual coffee chats or by simply asking questions on LinkedIn.

It is never too early and never too late to start looking for jobs, fellowships, internships, and more. With CCE and Beyond Barnard offices open for appointments and walk-in hours, you can always reach out to someone for help.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that the Center for Career Education serves students who attend the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Students in GSAS can go to GSAS Compass for career services. Spectator regrets this error.

Staff Writer Swethaa Suresh can be contacted at swethaa.suresh@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectrum on Twitter @CUSpectrum.

Career centers BB Beyond Barnard CCE Center for Career Education Virtual Jobs Internships Internship Columbia Career Resources Online Internship Columbia