In The Loop
Ashley Jiao / Senior Staff Illustrator

NYC/Campus Zoom Events

With the semester coming to a close, there are a number of University-sponsored events that you might want to attend. . These include a discussion of the injustices related to the pandemic, a lecture on the foundations of ethical decision-making, or a conversation about queer liberalism and marginal mobility. With these options, you are likely to find something in line with your personal interests that would enrich your understanding of civic responsibility. Take a look at the event descriptions below, and consider transforming your study break into an educational experience.

Columbia Events

Vaccine Safety: Urgency vs Prudence

April 13, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Learn more about disease prevention, health preservation, and impactful policies when you join a discussion on today’s greatest public health challenges led by David M. Knipe, a professor in the department of microbiology at Harvard Medical School, and Dr. Danielle Laraque-Arena, a senior scholar-in-residence at The New York Academy of Medicine. Register for the event at the link above.

Food for Thought: The Ethics of Progress

April 14, 12 to 1 p.m.

This “Food for Thought” lecture is focused on the role of ethics in “civilization-changing progress.” Consider the history and future of ethical decision-making in a discussion led by Eli Amdur.

Pandemic Vulnerability to Vaccine (In)Equity

April 15, 5:30 to 7 p.m.

Learn about the racial injustices associated with the COVID-19 pandemic and vaccine distribution at a panel hosted by Dr. Wafaa M. El-Sadr, Gregg Gonsalves, and Dr. Bisola O. Ojikutu and moderated by Samuel K. Roberts Jr. and Mabel O. Wilson.

Thematic Discussion Series: Combating Anti-AAPI Hate and Violence

April 16, 8:30 to 10 a.m.

Join this discussion session hosted by the Beijing global center to share your thoughts and explore possible calls to action against the recent spike in anti-Asian hate crimes. The event will feature leading scholars and experts, like professor Qin Gao from the School of Social Work.

Women in Energy Roundtable: Sophie Brochu

April 19, 1 to 2 p.m.

Explore career pathways in the renewable energy sector from industry leader Sophie Brochu, president and CEO of Hydro-Québec. Advance registration is required.

The Climate Imperative: Meeting the Moment

April 21, 6 to 7 p.m.

Join a special Earth Day conversation to discuss the necessary actions and policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and avoid a climate crisis. The panel discussion will be led by Jeff Berardelli, CBS News’ meteorologist; Maureen Raymo, interim director of the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory; and Alex Halliday, director of the Earth Institute.

Social Work & UX Research: Creating a Positive Impact in the Tech Industry

April 29, 12 to 1 p.m.

Discover the intersection of user experience and social work at a webinar hosted by the School of Social Work and led by Sofia Qin, SSW ’15. Make sure to RSVP and familiarize yourself with the attendance instructions.

Barnard Events

How to Be an Ally When You Witness Online Abuse w/ Hollaback!

April 13, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

As the majority of our lives is taking place virtually, online abuse is becoming more prevalent. Barnard is holding an event open to the entire Columbia community to discuss techniques for intervening in such scenarios using tactics created by the grassroots initiative Hollaback!

MeMoSa: Student Artists-in-Residence & Post-Bacc Process Showing

Workshop: Student Artists-in-Residence & Post-Bacc Skill Share

April 15, 5:30 to 7 p.m. and April 16, 1 to 3 p.m.

Barnard’s post-baccalaureate fellows and student artists-in-residence have been working on long-term individual projects through the Movement Lab. Make sure to RSVP to their showing and workshop.

Pandemic Tales: Uplifting the Organizing of Filipino Migrant Workers

April 13, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Join a conversation with labor trafficking survivors and organizers for the Damayan Migrant Workers Association to discuss the pandemic’s impact on migrant workers from the Philippines.

Queer Liberalisms and Marginal Mobility Speaker Series

This speaker series consists of the following events, which focus on LGBTQ rights as they relate to migration in geographical, political, and social contexts.

Labour, Precarity, Survival, & Lived Experiences

April 16, 12 to 1 p.m.

This event is a conversation between Alisa Winston, an independent researcher, and Razan Ghazzawi, a human rights activist and doctoral candidate at the University of Sussex, moderated by Bridget Anderson.

Humanitarianism, Representation, Subjectivity, Photography

April 23, 12 to 1 p.m.

This conversation between Anna Carastathis and Myrto Tsilimpounidi, both postdoctoral fellows in social anthropology at Panteion University, and Martha Balguera, assistant professor at the University of Toronto-Mississauga, is moderated by Fadi Saleh.

Inner Border Flight/Refugee

April 30, 12 to 1 p.m.

Eithne Luibheid, a professor of gender and women’s studies at the University of Arizona, will be speaking with Samuel Ritholtz, a doctoral candidate at the University of Oxford, in an event moderated by Mengia Tschalaer.

Staff Writer Victoria Tereshchenko can be contacted at victoria.tereshchenko@columbiaspectator.com. Staff Writer Swethaa Suresh can be contacted at swethaa.suresh@columbiaspectator.com.

Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec. Follow Spectrum on Twitter @CUSpectrum.

Upcoming Events Events Online events Zoom Columbia events