Academics
Stephanie Koo / Staff Illustrator

Graduation is a time for students to celebrate their accomplishments while surrounded by the friends, family, and teachers who have impacted them throughout their four years in college. But since Columbia released its plans to move the 2021 Commencement ceremony online, many seniors might feel that they are missing out on this milestone. If you are feeling down during these last few weeks of your senior year and need a pick-me-up before finals, Spectrum is here to show you that with the right mindset going into your virtual graduation, you can have an experience that is just as good or even better than an in-person ceremony.

Your pet will be there.

They have been the audience to so many of your presentations and classes this past year that they could probably earn an honorary degree. They deserve to be there.

Free tickets for everyone in the family.

Having to choose between taking your Aunt Nicole and Uncle Charlie to graduation might be one of the hardest decisions that you would have had to make. Now, you do not have to! Additionally, nobody has to pay for transportation and accommodation costs.

Zone out during long speeches. No one will notice.

Do not worry, you will not offend Prezbo if you close your eyes during his one hour speech (or even mute him).

The sweet, sweet feel of an air-conditioned room.

Standing outside in the sun in the beginning of the summer is not ideal––not to mention the microwave effect of a floor length robe. We’ll take air conditioning.

All the snacks you want.

Stuff your face with the CraveBox Ultimate Assortment Package and no one is going to judge. If you are feeling more boujee, coming in at $47.95, snack in style with a Yukon Gourmet Gift Basket from Dan the Sausageman. You can also make graduation extra exciting by creating your own virtual graduation drinking game and drinking a shot every time you hear a specific cliché phrase (if you’re 21, of course).

Nobody can you see you getting emotional

Class Day can get emotional, especially when you spend time taking those last cap and gown pictures with your friend group and reminiscing about the past four years. Behind a computer screen, nobody will be able to tell if you shed a tear or two.

Dressing up? Forget it.

Instead of spending hours getting ready and making sure you look your best for 30 seconds of recognition and a grainy picture while strutting across stage, you can literally graduate in your pajamas. Not a lot of people could say the same.

Graduate on your terms, it’s overrated anyways.

Expectations for graduation tend to be high. After spending hours listening to speeches, many come to the realization that the graduation ceremony is overrated. This year, you can truly make that day your day, without any schedules, tents, or rules to think about.

Good luck Class of 2021! We are excited to see the great things you will accomplish.

Check out the important dates from Columbia’s commencement website below.

Graduation Events:

Columbia College Class Day: Wednesday, April 28 at 10:00 a.m. EDT

Columbia Engineering Class Day: Thursday, April 29 at 10:00 a.m. EDT

Columbia University Commencement: Friday, April 30 at 10:30 a.m. EDT

Baccalaureate Service: Sunday, April 25 at 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. EDT

Register here.

Jewish Life Graduation Celebrations: Sunday, April 25 at 2:00 p.m.

Register here.

The Multicultural Graduation Celebrations:

Multicultural Affairs Graduation Cord Celebration: Friday, April 16 at 2:00 p.m. EDT

Native Graduation Celebration: Sunday, April 25 at 4:00 p.m. EDT

Lavender Graduation Celebration: Monday, April 26 at 4:00 p.m. EDT

Asian Graduation Celebration: Tuesday, April 27 at 10:00 a.m. EDT

FLI Graduation Celebration: Tuesday, April 27 at 7:00 p.m. EDT

Latinx Graduation Celebration: Thursday, April 29 at 6:00 p.m. EDT

Black Graduation Celebration: Friday, April 30 at 4:00 p.m. EDT

Register here.

Staff writer Emma Cho can be contacted at emma.cho@columbiaspectator.com. Follow her on Twitter @emsoojin. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Graduation 2021 Commencement Ceremony Virtual Online 2021 Commencement 6 Graduations