ARCHERY strong>
The archery team will travel to Durham, N.H. this weekend to compete in the U.S. Collegiate Archery Indoor Championship.

Last month at the New York State Indoor Championships, the Light Blue posted a solid performance due to the strong showings of sophomores Gladys Velez-Caicedo and Grace Kim. Velez-Caicedo posted a career-high 557 points to lead the collegiate compound. Kim, a Spectator page design associate, also posted first with a score of 548 in the recurve core firing.

This is the first year the Lions will be competing in the event, which the University of New Hampshire began in 2011.

The competition begins at Hamel Recreational Center on Friday.
—Robert Mitchell

BASEBALL
Baseball begins its season by jetting off to Beaumont, Texas, to face Lamar (7-2). The Lions, coming off a 12-8 Ivy season leading to a 3rd place finish in the Lou Gehrig division, start 2013 by facing off against one of the nation's toughest opponents for a four-game series. Last weekend, the Cardinals took on the University of Washington and had three pitchers throw complete games en route to winning three of the four-game series. Senior righty Tim Giel will likely take the mound to start Columbia's first game.

For a full season preview, check out our 2013 baseball supplement.
—Myles Simmons

MEN'S TENNIS
Although the men's tennis team wasn't able to capture what would have been its first Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference title two weeks ago, falling in the finals to host Cornell, it has been recognized for its successful tournament and overall high level of play. The now-No. 33-ranked team in the nation has its highest ranking since being No. 15 in 1987.

Sophomore Winston Lin has also seen his stock rise, earning the No. 36 spot after a phenomenal 3-0 stretch that included a win over Princeton's No. 3-ranked Matija Pecotic.

Columbia takes on No. 50 George Washington this Friday. The Lions handily bested the Colonials 4-2 on Feb. 15.

Matches begin Friday at 2 p.m. at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
—Alexander Bernstein

WOMEN'S TENNIS
Women's tennis won two matches in as many days last weekend, defeating Maryland and Akron, each by a score of 6-1. The Lions, now 4-3, are ranked 46th in the nation, which marks the program's highest ranking in school history.

On Saturday, the Light Blue will face Stony Brook. The Seawolves, who hold a 2-1 record, lost their first match to Penn, but have won two straight contests, crushing Lehigh and Connecticut by scores of 7-0 and 6-1, respectively.

The matches begin at 10 a.m. at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.
—Ike Clemente Kitman

WOMEN'S SQUASH
Freshman Reyna Pacheco and sophomore Alisha Maity will compete in the Holleran Division of the College Squash Association Individual Championships on Friday. The competition will be hosted by Trinity College in Hartford, Conn. Pacheco enters her match against Tufts' Jessica Rubine after primarily playing at the number two spot this season, with an overall record of 6-10. Maity, who spent most of the season at the number three position, has a record of 5-11. Her opponent, Cornell's Lindsay Seginson, has an overall record of 5-5 for the season. The action starts at 9:40 a.m. when Pacheco takes on Rubine, followed by Maity's match at 11 a.m.
—Mollie Galchus

MEN'S SWIMMING AND DIVING
The men's swimming and diving team (8-2, 5-2 Ivy) rides its seven-meet winning streak to one last stop before the Ivy League Championships, as it heads to Cambridge Friday for the three-day Eastern Collegiat Athletic Conference Championships. The meet will be the last action of the season for much of the team, as only the top 16 swimmers participate in Ivies. The 29-team event features Harvard as the only other Ivy team participating. The Lions will try to make a statement against the first-place Crimson team before Ivies begin Thursday.
—Phil Godzin

WOMEN'S SWIMMING AND DIVING
After the first day of the Ivy League Championships, women's swimming and diving is in fourth place, trailing third-place Yale by a scant 11 points. Princeton and Harvard round out the top two. The highlight of Columbia's meet was the 200-yard medley, during which senior Katie Meili smashed her former Ivy record with a new time of 1:55.09 and junior teammate Alena Kluge became just the fourth Ivy woman to break two minutes in the event, with a second-place effort of 1:58.73. In the 400-yard medley relay, the team effort of Kluge, Meili, senior Kristina Parsons, and sophomore Salena Huang took the gold. Huang was also the top finisher for the Lions in the 500-yard freestyle, where she touched 10th.

Diving also turned in a solid performance in the one-meter event, during which senior Kristin Hehir and sophomore Alyssa Menz both placed in the A Final, Hehir with an NCAA A qualifying cut.
—Charlotte Murtishaw

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Women's Tennis Women's Swimming and Diving Women's Squash Robert Mitchell Phil Godzin Myles Simmons Mollie Galchus Men's Tennis Men's Swimming and Diving Ike Kitman Charlotte Murtishaw Baseball archery Alexander Bernstein