Michael Discenza / Senior Staff Photographer

Senior Kacie Johnson finished a decorated college career by breaking the record of 50 goals in one season.

Lacrosse Robert Mitchell / Spectator Staff Writer

In its final games of the 2013 season, Columbia lacrosse (3-12, 0-7 Ivy) prevailed against Manhattan, 15-5, before falling to Harvard (3-11, 2-5 Ivy) in Cambridge, 18-11. With the team looking to bring the 2013 season to a positive close, the Lions came away victorious Friday on a Senior Day that paid a proper farewell to seniors Kacie Johnson and Kelly Buechel.

"You want your seniors to have a great experience when they have their last home game," Light Blue head coach Liz Kittleman Jackson said. "I think their teammates really stepped up and played for them." Read more>>

Track & Field Melissa Cheung / Spectator Senior Staff Writer

The men's and women's track and field teams returned home with multiple broken records after a weekend full of impressive performances at the 119th Penn Relays. The Lions got off to a satisfactory start early on Thursday and picked up the intensity later that day to carry it into the final two days of the elite meet.

In the women's distance medley relay, seniors Erin Gillingham and Sharay Hale, junior Trina Bills, and sophomore Waverly Neer reached the podium and the school record books with a third-place finish at 11:07.68. The quartet not only set the new school record with the time, but also established themselves nationally as a powerful team in the event. Read more>>

Softball Noah Stebbins / Spectator Staff Writer

As Columbia softball (22-26, 8-12 Ivy) finishes its season, there is a lot of room left for improvement.

In the first matchup of the weekend, Columbia won 8-6 at home. Freshman infielder/outfielder Macy Shrum started things off for Columbia by getting a homer in the bottom of the second inning, but Penn outfielder Sydney Turchin batted teammate Kanani Datan into home to tie the score at one. The game continued to be relatively close until the second half. Read more>>

In brief: Women's tennis, men's golf, women's golf, women's rowing, heavyweight rowing

Women's tennis Ike Clemente Kitman / Spectator Staff Writer

With its 6-1 victory over Brown on Saturday afternoon, No. 37 Yale (17-3, 6-1 Ivy) secured its half of the women's tennis Ivy League Championship, which it will share with Columbia (12-5, 6-1 Ivy). The Bulldogs have won three straight championships, but this year's title marked the first in program history for the Lions. The Bulldogs edged the Lions by a score of 5-2 on April 14, earning Yale the Ancient Eight's automatic bid to the NCAA Division I Women's Tennis Championships. The Lions took on Penn (28-17, 16-4 Ivy) in two doubleheaders over the weekend to close the season. They split the first twin bill with the Quakers, but lost the last two games on Saturday to conclude the 2013 campaign. Read more>>

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Softball Lacrosse Track and Field Weekend Recap