File Photo / Kiera Wood

After last season's lackluster performance, Brett Nottingham officially leaves football team.

Once a highly touted addition to the Columbia Lions, former senior quarterback Brett Nottingham has left the team for the second time during his tenure with the Light Blue.

Head coach Al Bagnoli said Nottingham was not in contact with the team for much of the summer. Bagnoli declined to comment on why Nottingham—who remains enrolled at Columbia—ultimately left the team.

"He emailed me the other day and said after more thought that he wasn't as prepared as he'd wanted to be, and that he wants to devote his time to other things," Bagnoli said.

Nottingham came to Columbia from Stanford, where he backed up No. 1 draft pick Andrew Luck. While his arrival was met with buzz, Nottingham chose to leave the team last October after playing only five games.

He then chose to return to the team this season under Bagnoli.

Columbia has struggled at the quarterback position in recent years. After Nottingham's performance at Monmouth last year, during which he threw three interceptions, then junior Trevor McDonagh took over as the team's play-caller.

With the addition of junior quarterback Skyler Mornhinweg from Florida, the battle for the starting spot under center seems to be hotly contested among Mornhinweg, McDonagh, and sophomore up-and-comer Anders Hill.

kyle.perrotti@columbiaspectator.com  |  @kyle_perrotti

football Columbia Lions Brett Nottingham