Junior Markus Scheidel went undefeated at the New York State Championships to earn the 157-pound weight class title.

Junior Markus Scheidel won the 157-pound weight class, leading wrestling to a fifth place finish at the New York State Championships on Sunday.

Scheidel was one of five members of the Lions' squad to finish in the top-three in their respective weight classes. As a team the Light Blue earned 123.5 points, less than three points shy of fourth place Buffalo, but well behind Cornell, the overall champion, with 202 points.

Head coach Carl Fronhofer was proud of Scheidel's' win on Sunday, citing his tough effort against several top competitors. The junior began the day with a first round bye, before earning back-to-back victories by technical falls in the second round and quarterfinals. An 8-5 decision over Binghamton's Vincent Deprez sent Scheidel to the first place match, where he defeated SUNY-Cortland's Robert Dierna in a 3-1 decision to take the title.

Sophomore Tyrel White also earned his way to first place match in the 165-pound weight class, but fell to Cornell's George Pickett in a 3-2 decision to take second place.

White's loss was one of 10 losses that Columbia suffered at the hands of perennial Ivy League champion Cornell.

"The losses give them a bar to work towards," Fronhofer said of his team's performance against the Big Red. "They now know some areas they need to work on and fix before we see them again."

Senior Zack Hernandez lost to Cornell's Brian Realbuto in a 13-0 major decision in the semifinals of the 174-pound weight class, but rebounded in the consolation bracket to finish in third place. Senior Angelo Amenta and sophomore Tyler Ponte also took third place in the 133-pound and 149-pound weight classes respectively.

Columbia will return to the mats for the Cliff Keen Invitational in Las Vegas, Nev. on December 4th.

shannon.galiotto@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

wrestling