File Photo / Bing Guan

Senior Markus Scheidel received an automatic bid to the NCAA championships in the 165 weight class.

For junior Markus Scheidel and sophomore Tyrel White, this weekend marked the final step towards their ultimate goal: competing at the NCAA Championships.

Both wrestlers were granted automatic bids on Sunday at the EIWA Championships in Princeton, N.J. after finishing 3rd at 157 lb. and 4th and 165 lb., respectively.

Scheidel went 2-1 in his first day of the tournament, which placed him in a consolation match on Sunday. There he earned two more victories, including one against the third seed from Brown, Justin Staudenmayer. In his final match of the day, he was able to defeat Army's Russell Parsons for a 3rd place finish and a place into the national tournament.

White faced only two wrestlers in his first day, winning both matches. He opened Sunday against top-seeded George Pickett of Cornell, but fell 6-1.

With only four bids available at the 165 weight class, a victory in the next match against American's Mitchell Wightman was crucial. But White was able to come away with a 3-2 victory, ensuring a NCAA Championships bid despite eventually forfeiting his last match.

The only other Lion to reach the second day of competition was senior Angelo Amenta. After winning his first bout, he dropped the second which relegated him to the 5th place match. Despite pinning his opponent, Amenta did not walk away with a bid as the 133 lb. weight class which only had three automatically allocated bids. He will have to wait until later this week to discover his fate.

For most of the Light Blue wrestlers, the season is now over. Only national qualifiers and a few other players will train during spring break.

The NCAA Championships will be held at Madison Square Garden from March 17-19.

shannon.galiotto@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

wrestling