Bing Guan / Senior Staff Photographer

Junior Markus Scheidel earned the first Columbia win, but fell to No. 1 Isaiah Martinez from Illinois.

Wrestling's season ended on Friday with second losses for all three national qualifiers in the NCAA Championships.

The Lions went 5-6 over two days of competition, tying the program record for the most wins by a team in the tournament since 2013.

Junior Markus Scheidel began the tournament with the first Columbia win, but was sent to the consolation bracket after losing to No. 1 Isaiah Martinez from Illinois. In his rematch against George Mason's Gregory Flournoy, whom Scheidel had previously faced at the Midlands Championship, the junior was able to get his revenge and tally a 6-4 win in the first sudden victory round. Scheidel's second and final loss came against West Virginia's Dylan Cottrell, and he finished 2-2 in the championships.

Sophomore Tyrel White also lost his first match but proceeded to defeat his next two opponents, including his third victory of the season against American's Mitchell Wightman. In his rematch against Clark Glass from Oklahoma, White was unable to convert, and fell 5-3.

Sophomore Garrett Ryan notched only one win—a 2-0 victory over Franklin & Marshall's Anthony Pelusi, who had ended Ryan's EIWA Championship run two weeks prior. In his final match against No. 16 Nathan Butler from Stanford, Ryan was unable to overcome a 1-0 deficit, ending his run in the heavyweight consolation bracket.

All three wrestlers will return to the program next season.

wrestling