Mike Broglio / Courtesy of Columbia Athletics

Fencing captured the NCAA Championship with 174 points.

Fencing defeated Ohio State 174-167 at the NCAA Championships Sunday, claiming its second consecutive national championship. Princeton and St. John's finished tied for third with 161 points each.

Columbia entered the final day of the championships with a 13-point lead over Ohio State, and held off the Buckeyes with a balanced team-wide performance. The Lions were the only team to score at least 24 points in every category.

In addition to the team title, Columbia fencers enjoyed significant success in individual competition. Senior Jake Hoyle, who entered the men's epee competition seeded first overall, claimed his second consecutive gold medal. After a closely contested semifinal match against Ohio State's Lewis Weiss, Hoyle dispatched Ohio State's Marc-Antoine Blais 15-9 in the final.

Senior foilist Jackie Dubrovich, who earned silver and bronze medals in 2013 and 2014, respectively, capped off her career with another silver medal after falling 15-10 to Ohio State's Eleanor Harvey. Although Dubrovich entered as the top overall seed, Harvey had already defeated her in round-robin competition.

Columbia boasted a number of other top-five finishers. Junior Mason Speta and senior Adam Mathieu earned third place in women's epee and men's foil, while senior Harrison Bergman and junior Sara Taffel placed fifth in men's and women's foil, respectively.

Columbia is the first team to repeat as champions since Penn State held the title in 2009 and 2010. The Lions previously held the title in 1992 and 1993. Overall, the title was the 15th in program history.

fencing