Bing Guan / Senior Staff Photographer

First-year Bianca Gotauco looks to help archery capture its second consecutive national title.

Archery heads to Michigan this weekend looking to cap off a strong spring with its second consecutive national title.

The Lions have not competed in nearly a month after taking five of six medals at the Regional Outdoor Collegiate Championships in April, but remain confident ahead of this weekend's competition.

"I'm very excited," head coach Derek Davis said. "The team is just as strong, if not stronger than last year. I think have just as good a chance as ever [to win the title]."

Davis speaks from experience, as Lions' victories this weekend would earn his sixth recurve title and second compound title. He pointed to the squad's depth as a vital component entering the weekend, highlighted by a victory over a strong Texas A&M team earlier this spring.

"We may not have the best in the world but if we've got someone who's third, fifth and tenth, then together, they are probably stronger than another (team) who have got the best in the world, but the next two are way down at 46th and 70th," Davis said.

The championships will also mark the final competition for senior Julie Hoffman, who has anchored the Lions in the compound division for four years and won the bronze at last year's National Championships.

Hoffman is set to end her collegiate career as one of the most decorated compound shooters in team history after leading the Light Blue to a national title last season.

Competition begins Friday at the Hope Sports Complex in Lansing, Michigan.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

archery