Bing Guan / Senior Staff Photographer

Senior Julie Hoffman earned a silver medal in the individual compound division.

Archery fell just short of defending its national title at the National Outdoor Collegiate Championships over the weekend.

The Lions opened with a victory over UCLA in the recurve team competition, and then topped Arizona to earn a place in the championship's gold medal round. But Columbia ultimately could not keep pace with national champion Texas A&M, as the Light Blue claimed the silver medal.

Columbia's compound team also fell to Texas A&M in the semifinals before rebounding with a win over James Madison to secure the bronze medal.

Senior Julie Hoffmann headlined a quartet of representatives in the individual compound division, capturing her second straight silver medal. She fell in the final to Michigan State's Emily Bee 137-134, but tied the program record with the best-ever individual compound finish.

Meanwhile, sophomore Jenny Han, first-year Bianca Gotauco, first-year Aileen Yu and junior Joy Chang competed in the individual recurve division. Gotauco was the only member of the squad to advance past the round of 16 before falling to eventual silver medalist Karissa Yamaguchi in the round of eight.

The National Outdoor Collegiate Championships marked the final event of the season for Columbia's archery team, which will return to competition next spring.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

archery