Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

Sophomore point guard Paulina Koerner played a total of 92 minutes in games against Dartmouth and Harvard over the weekend.

Women's basketball fell by two in a nail-biter at Harvard 70-68, only hours after a tumultuous quadruple-overtime victory at Dartmouth 91-88.

The Lions (11-6, 1-3 Ivy) were firing on all cylinders Friday night in Hanover, New Hampshire, as junior forward Camille Zimmerman notched a career-high 37 points and 19 rebounds in the 3-point win. The Tempe, Arizona, native attempted 37 field goals—10 more than the next highest total in team history—and played in 58 out of a possible 60 minutes during the game.

The Light Blue needed every one of those points, as the 44 minutes they had the lead were quickly abated by Dartmouth's (6-11, 1-3 Ivy) late offensive surge, which pushed the game into overtime. After Columbia jumped out to a six-point lead in the first extra period, the Big Green quickly responded, tying the game with a clutch shot by forward Fanni Szabo.

The back-and-forth continued into the second and third overtime periods. Dartmouth took its first extra time-lead after a 6-0 run spurred from Szabo and company.  Sophomore guard Emily Surloff then drained a buzzer-beater trey to knot the score at 83-83 and send the game to yet another extra frame.

Surloff's momentum-shifting three carried into the fourth and final extra period, where the Lions got up by four and were able to retain the lead with late free-throw help from junior guard Alexa Giuliano.

Senior center Devon Roeper played her best game of the season, tallying 18 points and 11 rebounds on a perfect 9-for-9 shooting day. Her 45 minutes were a career high, and her presence up front helped balance the offense, given the absence of burgeoning sophomore forward Josie Little.

Despite traveling to Cambridge, Massachusetts, after the longest game in Ivy League women's basketball history, the offensive sparks could still be seen in a tight contest against the Crimson (16-1, 4-0 Ivy). Down 39-27 at the half, head coach Megan Griffith—fresh off her first Ancient Eight win—composed the team and started the second-half comeback.

The Light Blue worked its way back into the game, finally taking the lead 56-55 with eight minutes remaining in the final frame by way of a Zimmerman trey. After falling behind again, the Tempe, Arizona, native was able to tie the game again at 68.

Sophomore guard Madeline Rester sealed the game for Harvard with a winning pull-up jumper with 4.9 seconds remaining. First-year guard Katie Benzan and first-year forward Jeannie Boehm each contributed 20 points to extend the Crimson's perfect conference season.

Despite the close loss, the Lions boasted four players in double figures—Zimmerman scored 22 points, senior forward Tori Oliver 16, Roeper 15, and sophomore guard Paulina Koerner 13. Zimmerman and Oliver grabbed eight and 14 boards, respectively, with Oliver tying her career-high. Roeper added nine rebounds and went a perfect 7-for-7 from the charity stripe. Overall, Columbia shot an impressive 86.4 percent from the free-throw line.

Columbia will travel to play Yale next Friday and Brown next Saturday.

peter.demopoulos@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Columbia Lions Women's Basketball