Women's soccer returns from California road trip to host two matches this weekend

Women’s soccer will host Stony Brook and Sacred Heart this weekend after last weekend’s disappointing trip to California, where the Lions fell 2-0 to Pepperdine and 2-0 to Loyola Marymount.

The Lions (1-2-1) will hope to get back on track and revive their overall stagnant offense when they return home to face off against Stony Brook (2-4-0) and Sacred Heart (2-4-0).

The Light Blue secured its lone victory in a 4-2 win over Seton Hall early in the season. Despite ample opportunities, the Lions have failed to find the back of the net since then and have put forth a relatively weak defense, allowing four goals from opposing teams.

Columbia’s last meeting with Stony Brook in 2016 ended in a 0-0 tie. This season, the Seawolves have registered two wins against Iona and UMass Amherst, but have emerged from their last two games scoreless. A key player for the Seawolves has been Rachel Florenz, who has scored three goals in the first six games of her collegiate career.

The Lions defeated Sacred Heart 1-0 when the teams last faced off in 2016, when former captain Madeline Linde, CC ’17, scored the only goal of the match. Despite a weak opening to the season with two losses, Sacred Heart is coming into the game off a 2-0 win over Hartford on Thursday as well as a 1-0 win off of Army West Point earlier in the week.

Play will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday against Stony Brook and at 1 p.m. on Sunday against Sacred Heart at the Rocco B. Commisso Soccer Stadium.

ishya.verma@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Columbia-Lions Women's-soccer soccer